Sunday, February 21, 2016

What Love Isn’t: The Painful Truth about Teen Dating Violence

When I found out the theme for this month was “Love” I mentally prepared a very Mary-Poppins-ish piece on if we moms truly love ourselves and how that filters down to our girl’s view of herself. It’s important, to be sure, but then I responded to some teen emails that wrecked me, and I found myself digging deeper into teen violence stats. In my research, I discovered it to be National Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month, and the Lord has moved me to address differently.





I want to believe that we fail to recognize this problem because we look at these kids as young and cute. We get caught up in their butterflies and the excitement of being wanted so we err on the side of assumed mutual goodness and begin discussion of date plans and, maybe, sexual boundaries without clear definition of what is and isn’t healthy.


We’re not doing them any favors. Our silence is begetting theirs. Only 33% of teens who were in a violent relationship ever told anyone about the abuse. It’s time that we get educated and educate the children we love. It’s time we talk.

Let’s start... 

To finish reading this post, please visit MODSquad here

Thank you for visiting! Please take a moment to Subscribe to Fill My Cup by Email and have every post delivered to your inbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...