Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Real Mom Confessions

Today the sun is out and our city is emerging from hibernation. Yesterday a crazy blizzard essentially shut down the city. There was no school, flights, and the police asked for no travel in the city. The mall even closed. I don't remember that ever happening.

The school district alerted parents the night before that school would be cancelled. I flipped out with perhaps more joy than I did when I was a kid. The magic of a snow day never dies. Since the kids were in bed, I shut off all alarms with awareness that I was going to sleep in. Glory Hallelujah! It didn't last quite as long as I hoped for because my early riser woke me up to ask if the Groundhog saw his shadow. Apparently my being comatose was not obvious indication that I probably didn't have a clue. We checked it out and pretty soon I had three girls snuggled up next to me. Heaven.

When we did get up for the day the only parts of my normal routine kept were coffee consumption and brushing me teeth. I adopted a "wing hair don't care" line that cracked Grace up and kept the bed head, PJs, and robe for the day. I, unapologetically, made no make-up or vanity efforts of any kind. When my hubby got home he said, "Well you fully embraced the at-home day." Yes, babe. Yes I did. The girls and I played Old Maid, crafted, and baked brownies. It was a blast.

Now it is time to remember what day it is and what needs to happen for a successful week, which brings us to true mom confessions.

1. Science Fair.  This Friday is the science fair at the girls' school. They worked on a project illustrating sugar intake and its harmful affects on the body. While they waited for their typed items to print I told them to label their Valentine's, which just happened to be these.



Irony much? {I'm not going to lie. I love this candy as much as the kids and snagged the extra one for myself}

2. Stick Figures on the Van. When the whole family stick figure thing came to be a craze I bought in to it hook, line, and sinker. Unfortunately, Ava has completely worn off. They need to come down before her non-existence sets in upon her. That's the kind of thing she could hold over our heads for years (like I did my mom the Easy Bake Oven and Moon Shoes) or put her in therapy.

3. Dancing Like Seahorses.  Apparently Ava learned about seahorses at school so I submit to you the following dinner time conversation-

Ava: Today we learned when seahorses love each other they dance. So, if you guys love each other you will dance like seahorses.

Charlie: I think that was meant figurative. (Blank stares from the girls)

Ava agitated: If you don't dance like seahorses you don't love each other.

So what do you think happened to translate stable home to our kids?

Oh yes, yes we did.

Speaking of dinner conversation, I've heard from some of you doing the Love from Above: A February Valentine's Activity with us. I'm so grateful for the way this is inspiring meaningful conversations in the home. One mom said to me, "Jesus was unmistakably present at the table." I cried, because I can be good at that. It's so cool to see what the simplest exercise can do to bond family. If you are doing it and haven't lit the candle, I encourage you to give that a shot. Last night the girls asked if we could and we talked about how Jesus is the light darkness cannot overcome (John 1:5). To our surprise, the girls asked to pray and both the four and eight-year-old quoted different Scriptures about Jesus being light from memory. We were shocked. Who knows what could happen in your home?! Special moments continue to grow.

No matter what your situation this February, I pray that you might see God-moments and know the everlasting love Jesus has for you. It's sweeter than any chocolate and more beautiful than any rose.

xx Melissa

Thank you for visiting! Please take a moment to Subscribe to Fill My Cup by Email and have every post delivered to your inbox.

1 comment:

  1. I have learn from your article easily it is benifit for me recomended other every readers

    http://asdanswer.weebly.com/

    asdanswer

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...