Sunday, February 14, 2016

God is Faithful: A Love From Above Recap

At the beginning of this month our family set out to make discussing God-sightings habit through our Love from Above activity.

We aimed to grow our family faith-life by making purposeful effort to see and discuss God's working in the midst of our everyday. I also secretly knew my father-in-law's rescan was coming. The unknown energy sucker rattled me and evidence of faithfulness (regardless of results) proved this a lesson Charlie and I needed just as much as the kids.

So what happened?



14 days of AMAZING happened!

The girls couldn't wait for supper time. Discussions were meaningful. We looked at the sliding glass door awed.

How did we see God? Here are just a few:

"Two words: Family Sandwich" Ha! No joke. Our family had a massive pile on top of each other moment that led to so much laughter. This. Pie Face. Collective giggles bind.

"When I received a Bible verse to send mom." What my hubby didn't know is that when he sent me this verse a friend of mine sent me the exact same verse. The Holy Spirit is alive and active.

"I saw God today when I lost my volleyball game (poop emoji)." If you were at our house you'd see it so why hide the added detail? I'm not out to change my children's emotions. I just want to help them discuss the real. Grace's volleyball team was undefeated as a group in regular season play and they lost for the first time. There were tears. LOTS of tears and Big Feelings. Eventually she came to a place where she said, "I realized God is there whether I win or lose and I just need to do my best." She's got her mom and dad's competitive spirit so this was not a fun lesson. It was, in fact, one that "stunk" (hence the drawn out emoji), but it was character building and reminder that bad times don't equate to absent times.

"Having a restart and second chance." Second graders process recess drama in a way that reminds of grace offered to us each day. Sometimes we are hurt. Sometimes we do the hurting. But, that isn't the end of the story. God makes us as white as snow and provides a new canvas for us to write on.

"Surprising my family and friends." This is a 4-year-old's version of seeing God when we showed up unexpectedly at grandpa's chemo. Grandpa and grandma's smiles were HUGE and the nurses found Ava hilarious. Now she wants to go see her "friends" whenever grandpa is there. Such reminder that there is beauty within trial.

"I saw God when someone gifted Gary and Andrea a snowblower." People show up in the most unexpected ways from a kind comment to a physical gift and, in the moment, it makes all the difference. Watch. Be grateful.

"Grandpa's/dad's/Gary's test results." Only one heart necessary to represent all 5 of us one day. Many of you have asked about my father-in-law and the rescan gives us scientific news to celebrate. His tumor has SIGNIFICANT decrease in size (more than 50%). We rejoice and thank all of you for the continued prayers.

Love From Above gave eternal perspective to an earthly holiday. Our God IS near and if we open our eyes enough to see the Lord's presence versus solely circumstance, the heart adopts an appreciative spirit. We can choose joy, find purpose, and appreciate complexity. 

Though writing on the hearts is done this discussion will most definitely continue around the Nesdahl table. I pray it blessed all of you that joined in.

Now I have a window to clean :)

xx Melissa


Thank you for visiting! Please take a moment to Subscribe to Fill My Cup by Email and have every post delivered to your inbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...