Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Real Mom Confessions

I'm writing to you right now from a very happy place. We had my in-laws over to celebrate my mother-in-law, Andrea's, birthday on Saturday. She insisted on making her own cake which felt all kinds of wrong to me but my man insisted we were going to let her do what she wanted to do and thank God because it's beyond words amazing. Like, I think if Jesus was planning to join us in the flesh for dinner I'd serve this cake for dessert. It's that good. As life would have it there was a generous portion left but not enough for all three girls so to prevent tears and arguing I fell on the sword and am finishing the whole dang thing off on my own. I regret nothing.

I love the ability to laugh where we can in life and heard from many of you that you laughed hysterically at my New Year's Eve bowling fall. You'll be glad to know that I'm off the Motrin and heating pad, which led to what I'd consider the funniest moment of my week.  So what was that?

1. Pole Dancing. That's right. This. The grades one through three musical has kicked off and once again I'm choreographing the show. I'm thrilled. I love working with kids. I love the music teacher. And, I love to dance so it's a win all the way around. The only thing is, this musical is causing somewhat of a creativity crisis. Two of the four songs include animals that have no arms. Can I tell you how complicated that is for a dancer?! Anyway, one of the songs is about spiders and I was trying to envision what a "spinning" move could look like so I googled it. Do you know what top YouTube hits are for that? POLE BAR DANCING. That won't be appropriate say now or...EVER! I texted the music teacher and we both had a good laugh. The entire musical is now choreographed with a "G" rating, the spiders doing some beautiful ballet moves to unveil a web.

2. Church Timing. Lest you have any concern for my soul I promise you I love Jesus and focus on what is right and pure. Our timing for getting to church, however, is not always so great. Pretty much every service other than Easter and Christmas we walk in as or after the service has started. Judge not. At least we're there. Last Sunday our parents were unable to worship with us - a weekly gift we cherish - and wouldn't you know we were actually EARLY! Despite being "decades old," as Hannah reminded this week, we apparently still have the emotional maturity of teenagers and we texted a picture with the church and time to all of them just so they knew and could be proud.



Go us!

3. Spot It Mismatched Socks Game. I'll end this with creative parenting for your benefit. Do your kids love Spot It? Our kids do aaaaaand, as it turns out, we had a pillow case full of mismatched socks in the laundry room. So, I present to you Spot It Mismatched Socks. To play this game you pour all of your mismatched socks out on the living room floor. Then everyone in the family rushes to find as many matches as the can. The person with the most matches wins.

You're welcome.

The kids loved it.

I hope you had a great week!

Thank you for visiting! Please take a moment to Subscribe to Fill My Cup by Email and have every post delivered to your inbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...