Thursday, January 1, 2015

My 2015 Word of the Year


I’ve never been one to make New Year’s resolutions. Pinterest inspired me to try in 2013 but that was an epic flop before February even arrived. I should have known better. Most of the time New Year’s resolutions amount to nothing more than cramming one more thing into an already busy life, setting me up for failure.

If it isn’t from my heart it isn’t going to happen.

The word-of-the-year craze is a trend I’ve always been intrigued by. I love finding out why and what my friends and loved ones claim, but I’ve resisted that too. It seems one more stress to live up to creating a new path to failure. Something my perfectionist self avoids like the plague.

 

I heard the word while at my computer. So, I shut my screen and moved on.

Brave.

I hear it again and tell God all the reasons I don’t need a word-of-the-year, let alone this one.

Brave.

God doesn’t care.

Brave I am not.

At least from my vantage point.

I am a woman of faith, yes. I believe in a God bigger than me and that saves the frailty in me. I can quote Scriptures to get me and those I love through.

But I am a human at risk of letting fear hinder me. I’m critical of myself. I take what has been true of me or what I think to be true of me and emblaze that into my forehead like label of my potential.

My faith fills me up with life but it does not make me so bold and audacious as to say, “Here I am, Lord, send me!”

But to really embrace opportunities tantalizing me I am going to need to be brave. Self-preserving pride - that I know in my head limits more than grows - needs to die to really see how God is loving and growing me this year.

 

Brave.

I hear His voice again and I finally shut-up. And I resistantly claim this word-of-the-year because it’s God’s idea not mine.

I was going to keep it secret in my heart. No one would think to ask because I don’t do these things, remember? J But I didn’t because maybe you are like me. Maybe you don’t feel brave. Maybe you like to play it safe with what is to resist a strike to the ego.

Because what might we miss?

Today is a new day that offers more than great football and hors d’oeuvres and after Christmas sales. It’s a chance to take your messes and openings and try because we have a present Jesus who is holding our hand through it. Might you still be scared? I probably will be more times than I can count.

But tip-toeing in is better than sitting the fullness of His dreams for us out.

Take that, 2015!

We can do this, friends.

XOXO Melissa             

“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.” John Wayne
 

Thank you for visiting! Please take a moment to Subscribe to Fill My Cup by Email and have every post delivered to your inbox.

15 comments:

  1. Love love love it!! The quote about courage was one that Georgia told me when I was preparing for my cancer fight. Happy New Year, Melissa! Can't wait to start the mother/daughter class next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Therese, you make me smile. I've been so moved by your bravery through this year of cancer treatment. I have to admit, I wondered if anyone would sign up for the mother/daughter class. When Miss Amanda called 10 minutes after the class went live and said you signed up, I got off the phone and wept. There will be so many stories in that room. So glad you and your girl get this time together.

      Delete
    2. It's going to be so much fun! Was thrilled when I was able to get the time off for us to go.

      Delete
  2. Hi Melissa , my one word for the year is "Greatness".
    thanks for sharing this inspiring http://purposefulandmeaningful.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa - Thanks for the brave words and Habakkuk verse. God amazes me over and over....sandraj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it blessed you. Might we all lean in together this New Year!

      Delete
  4. So loved this post as it resonated with my own word for 2015, "Believe" >>> "Do not be afraid, just believe...." (Luke 8:50). I do not want to miss what He has for us in 2015! May we each remain intentional to focus on our words & receive from Him! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! And with quiet confidence we've started tip toing our way in. Oh to see what a year it is...

      Delete
  5. GREAT word, Melissa. One I need as well. Here we go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love brave! we get in our own way so often. thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "get in our own" perfect words. happy 2015!

      Delete
  7. Your word picture caught my eye at Holley's - it's my word too. Brave is a bit scary, isn't it?! Though it's filled with great expectancy - I'm going to assume the Lord in His infinite ways will give us the opportunity to exercise our word this year. :) The Lord gave me 1 Corinthians 16:13 to go along with "brave" ..."Watch. Stand fast in faith. Be brave. Be strong." Here's to being brave with Him, for Him. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave is TOTALLY scary. Here's to a ride of a year!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...