Friday, October 31, 2014

The Attitude of Gratitude Tablecloth {A November Family Exercise}

I don't know about your family, but the Nesdahl's are in need of remembering our abundant blessings.

Yes, I write a Christian blog but my family is no different than yours.  Sometimes the kids bicker and have selective hearing.  My husband and I can be guilty of looking through the Sunday advertisements with wishful eyes or complaining about the old carpet and feeling like we are somehow lacking even though compared to most of the globe we are rich. {Did you know that if you have any money saved, a hobby that requires some equipment or supplies, a variety of clothes in your closet, two cars (in any condition), and live in your own home, you are in the top 5% of the world’s wealthy? True story according to Randy Alcorn's Money, Possessions and Eternity}

So for the month of November we are going to intentionally focus our hearts.



I made a pumpkin centerpiece, bought a cheap plastic tablecloth, and fell victim to the heavenly smell of the cinnamon pinecone packets in the storefront. Together they make up our November dining room table d├ęcor.



Starting on the first we will each write one thing a day that we are thankful for on the tablecloth.  Any dinner guests we have during the month will be invited to join in as well.  And, as days pass and the notations multiply we will have an amazing visual of just how blessed we are.

If my kids were a little older I'd go with a nicer tablecloth, but with the tiny tot in the house I'd be a fool to think we won't have several spills :)  The party aisle plastic will wipe nicely and no thanks notes will be lost in the process. It's the meaning, not the look.

One of my favorite Proverbs is "Above all else, guard you heart, for everything you do flows from it" (4:23).  I earnestly believe that in intentionally focusing our heart on noting the many blessings we have the natural outflow of that will be a more grateful life.

And I want that for everyone under my roof, don't you?

Now, as for how I'm going to break Ava of writing on tablecloths after this month, I am not sure. Suggestions welcome :)

Thank you for visiting! Please take a moment to Subscribe to Fill My Cup by Email and have every post delivered to your inbox.

6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Love, love, love and perhaps I'll figure out a way to use it. I love my beautiful fall tablecloth that's on my table - maybe a runner would do somehow. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooooh. A runner would be beautiful too!

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is SUCH a great idea!! Totally doing this next year...or maybe even this year. It's not too far into November, right? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally not too far into November. You can still go for it this year if you wish! Otherwise, enjoy next year. We are having a ball with it!

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! This will be an awesome family tradition, and really fun to look back on over the years. As far as the whole writing on tablecloths thing, no idea. I'll let you know how it goes with my two year old, if I come up with some brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The "now we don't write on mommy's nice tablecloth" on Dec 1 is going to be interesting to say the least. But, the kids are LOVING this activity so it's totally worth figuring out later. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...