Sunday, October 12, 2014

Friend, What Did You See In That Selfie?

Friend,

I noticed you just took a selfie. Can I ask what you saw when you looked into it? Don’t worry. You’re safe with me.
 
 

This world is rapidly changing.  Gone are the days of planned picture sessions with dropped off film in a bag whose results remained a mystery.  Now we are a 24/7 ready people with cameras on our phones and our phones always on us, creating mirror moments all the time.  The outcome of this change is a mixed bag, at best.

Selfies can be so much fun. I love their ability to capture any moment in time. I love how I can actually appear in a photo or two with the fam because before I was always the one taking them and rarely actually in them. :) These documented, unplanned photo moments make for a better scrapbook of life, and that is awesome.

But there is the flip side. The ugly side when we gaze into our phone screen and see ugly in us. I am a faith-filled woman but I still live in human skin. Maybe if I just changed my angle I’d look skinnier or if I lower my chin my nose look better or…you fill in the blank with whatever critique just ran through your head.  So one picture turns into another picture followed by more critique and then another picture until the quest for imagined perfection blinds you of all the beauty staring back at you.

A light-hearted, random moment gets twisted into something frustrating and staged. Because we take the picture often with intention of posting it and since we want people to like what we see the purity of the moment can morph into an acting job complete with filters as our airbrush. 

Do you see yourself in that picture, friend? Or are you a character?

Social media pushes us to the seek the approval of many when we’re really just here to gratify the heart of One.

And He says,


Child,

I KNEW YOU BEFORE I FORMED YOU IN YOUR MOTHER’S WOMB. BEFORE YOU WERE BORN I SET YOU APART.” (Jeremiah 1:5)

Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes” 1 Peter 3:3

“People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7

So Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” Romans 12:2

 For we are God’s masterpiece.” Ephesians 2:10

“Be strong and courageous.” Deuteronomy 31:6

“YOU ARE ALTOGETHER BEAUTIFUL, MY DARLING, THERE IS NO FLAW IN YOU.” (Song of Solomon 4:7)
Love, God

Paint your moments, friend, not an image.  For you have been uniquely crafted by the Maker of it all.  This world of technology has changed things but it doesn’t have to change us.

As you read this today please know I’m praying over you.  And, if you’re a tween/teen who has found your way here, I ask a special hedge of protection around your heart.

May we all live boldly as our authentic selves and redefine beauty along the way. 

 
Thank you for visiting! Please take a moment to Subscribe to Fill My Cup by Email and have every post delivered to your inbox.

6 comments:

  1. I never take selfies lol. I always end up looking goofy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw go with whatever helps to see yourself as God sees you and protects your self esteem!

      Delete
  2. Love the scriptures you included. What a great reminder to stop focusing on appearance and love ourselves as we are. Like you, I also pray that women and younger girls start seeing the beauty in themselves. It makes me sad when girls don't love themselves enough. I wish they could see the beauty that relies within and on the outside. What I try to do is always give sincere compliments to help these women with their self-esteem in hopes of filling their cup, especially because I've been through these moments as a teen. Thank you for this reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome. LOVE your intentional effort to build others up :)

      Delete
  3. Melissa,
    What important things to remember. Social Media can be so helpful with some things but yet so destructive too. It's easy to imagine that everyone's life is better than yours because the pictures we paint never really show all of our reality. Great post. I know I'll think of it the next time I shoot a selfie. ~Victoria @ fearlessheartministries.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...