Saturday, July 5, 2014

The Best Sour Cream Raisin Pie {Recipe}

It's no secret that I love to cook.  And, of all the people in the world that I like to learn from, my grandma is most definitely my favorite.  Not only is she incredible in the kitchen, but she has made the preparing of food a ministry.  She prepares for others in times of need.  She prepares to bring smiles.  She prepares simply to share.  She lives her life to be a blessing.

My favorite dessert from Grandma Peter's kitchen is most definitely sour cream raisin pie.  If you haven't had this before and it sounds gross to you, don't worry.  I had the same reaction until I actually tried it and realized it was straight from God.  Try it.  You'll thank me later.

I've long wanted to learn how to make this delicacy but I'd never asked.  Until earlier this week when my mom, girls, and I took a girls overnight trip and we remedied this.  I can't tell how sacred the communing of our hands pressing the pie crust felt. 



Gosh I love this lady.

My mom posted some pictures to Facebook of the event.  I am the fourth generation to learn this recipe and with my girls dabbling in they became the fifth.  I love that.  The pictures tantalized taste buds, and I started getting requests for the recipe.  Well, I talked to my granny this morning and lucky for y'all it's not top secret.  I get to share.

{These are my grandma's words exactly.  Trust me when I say "heaping" and "scant" are tough on a total type A personality in the kitchen.  What do you mean not exact? :)}



Preheat oven to 400 degrees

For the homemade pie crust {which is amazing & only 3 ingredients.  Who knew?!}
Heaping 1/3 cup butter Crisco
Scant 1 cup flour
Cold water

- Mix Crisco and flour with fingers until blended
- Gradually stir in some cold water with a fork until all is mixed together
- roll on floured surface (like waxed paper) with a floured rolling pin & put in a 8" or 9" pie pan
- prick generously with fork to prevent shrinkage
- press your fork around the edge of the pie crust to make it look pretty
- Bake at 400 degrees until brown (it took ours about 10 minutes)

For the Sour Cream Raisin Pie
1 Cup raisins
3 egg yolks
3 egg whites (these will be separated 1 for filling and 2 for meringue)
1 Cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
1/4 cup sugar

For Filling:
- Cover raisins with water and boil until the water disappears.  Place to the side.
- In bowl, beat 3 egg yolks and one egg white (keep other two egg whites in separate small bowl for meringue later).
- Add 1 cup sugar, about 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon & 1 cup sour cream with blender on low to medium speed. 
- Add filling to the raisins and cook on a double broiler until thick.
- Pour filling into pie crust.

For Meringue:
- Beat 2 remaining egg whites until stiff with 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar until stiff.   Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar.
- Spread meringue across top of pie. Make sure you get it all the way onto the crust to prevent shrinkage.

Bake pie at 400 degrees until brown (usually 10-15 minutes)

That is it!  It will come out looking and tasting amazing!



Learning to make this with Grandma Peters will forever be filed in my treasured memories box.  :)  I hope you made some fun memories this Fourth too!
Subscribe to Fill My Cup by Email

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a great one to try. My mouth is watering :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of such a pie, but this sounds great!!
    Come link up with me today!!
    http://thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...