Tuesday, February 11, 2014

If You Relate to Disney Frozen's Elsa More than You Care to Admit {When We Need Rescuing from Ourselves}

photo credit MODSquad

Somehow it came up on our ride home from the Super Bowl party. The day I stormed out of our apartment many years ago.

You have to understand that my husband and I married fresh out of college with only dreams and no professional income to our name. We moved into a one bedroom one bathroom apartment that left us lots of opportunity to bond because space wasn’t a luxury we reveled in.

I can’t even tell you what had me a hot mess that day because we couldn’t remember. What I can tell you is that my options in those days for alone time were limited to locking myself in the bathroom, the bedroom, or getting out of the apartment into the wide outdoors.

The last was my option of choice.

Much to my chagrin, it wasn’t mine alone. My hubby followed me and my quickly moving legs right down onto the streets.

“Melissa, would you slow down? You are walking insanely fast.”

“That’s fine. You weren’t invited on this walk.”

I know. The Proverbs 31 wife is rolling over in her grave.

“Well they told us in pre-marriage class not to let each other stay upset so I’m not going to let you go.”

He couldn’t see my eye roll but he could hear my huff.

What I can only imagine was laughter from my ridiculousness melted the wall around my heart and stopped me in my tracks. Dang that adorable laugh. It gets me every time. Contagious. And, as my own laughter fell into harmony with his, I reached for his out stretched hand ready to do life together.

Don’t let them in. Don’t let them see. Be the good girl you always have to be.

Disney’s Frozen “Let it Go” plays on repeat in our home these days. My girls, right down to the two year old, are obsessed with Elsa, Anna, and Olaf. I kind of am too because for the first time Disney got love right. Not just romantic love but communal love.

Because I don’t like spoilers, I’m not going to ruin the movie plot for those of you who haven’t seen it {but when you get done reading this GET. IN. THE. CAR. AND. GO!} other than to say Elsa contains the power to turn everything into ice. At one point, Anna seeks out Elsa in her ice castle and beckons her into relationship and, when together, Elsa discovers her love can thaw what is frozen.

The theological dork in me loves this. The piece of me that tends to emotionally flee feels schooled by a kids movie.

Many people would be surprised to know that in introvert/extravert testing I essentially break even. The extravert column had one more point, enough to call me extraverted by technicality but not really in livability. I’m a leader, a listener, an organizer, a friend, and a goof-ball that will have fun with and in front of others. But, I also have a tendency to retreat. To hide in my own man made spaces. And, when it is for the sake of a little mama-needed silence, it is okay. When it is for the sake of reflection it can nurture. But, when it is to isolate myself from truths about me and my story it is an empty form of freedom that limits my ability to live a satisfying life.

I want to be the good girl.  The one with the spiritual maturity of Beth Moore, the calm and kindness of Mother Teresa, and the confidence of Richard Sherman – minus the ‘tude. I want to have it all together.

And I’m fairly confident I’m not alone.

So how then do we live when the insecure, messy, painful, tough, not-so-pretty parts of our lives surface and bring out cold hurt in our hearts? When we need rescuing from ourselves?

We....

To finish reading this post click here and enjoy some other posts on love in the February MODSquad while you are there.


Subscribe to Fill My Cup by Email

2 comments:

  1. There’s something special about this movie that I’m soooo addicted to it. Maybe because it tells more of sisterly love, something that’s been neglected to most of the romantic animated films. Happy enough that Frozen the movie was a sure hit at home. Lol!
    Glad to be reading your own thoughts about it too.  Good day dear!
    http://meowchie.snydle.com/frozen-the-movie.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. The article you have shared here very awesome. I really like and appreciated your work. I read deeply your article, the points you have mentioned in this article are useful. I must try to follow these points and also share others.
    happy wheels
    super mario bros
    pacman
    agario

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...