Tuesday, January 28, 2014

100 Days: How Kindergarten Inspires Adults to be Brave


“Can we start, mom? Can we? Can we?”
Her love for homework is somewhat of an anomaly and I haven’t figured out if it is more about keeping up with her older sister or the smile behind the one she turns it in to. 

I brush away the crayons, stickers, and glitter that cover my counter like a blanket in a house of craft loving girls and pull out a pan to get supper started before my man gets home. 

Probably the latter, I tell myself.  I’ve seen the way she looks through those kids’ eyes right into their soul.  I’ve felt it myself.  An angel in human skin quietly breathing confidence into every life she touches.
“Let me just clear this table off and we will be good to go.”

I try to look like I have it all together while Ava has a meltdown because I’m not playing house with her.  She’s not on board with real life getting in the way of her fantasy play. 
“Grace, can you please entertain your sister?” 

I’m an awesome mom like that. :)

This is Hannah’s time.  One hundred days of kindergarten nears and her toothless grin reveals the excitement she’s trying to contain in her tiny little body.
“Just think.  A few months ago I didn’t even know Mrs. H existed and now I know she is the best teacher ever.”

To fully live we must be willing to take a step towards the unknown.
In front of her are boxes of mini candy canes clearanced out post the Christmas holiday.  She loves them, but even more than that, she loves having discovered that she can make hearts with them.  “I’m gonna write ‘I love K01’ because I love being in Mrs H’s class.”

My hands need work because she’s speaking right into a weakness of my own. 
Safe people.  Safe situations guaranteeing my success.  This is where the perfectionist in me likes to dwell. 

I begin cutting wrappers while she places the hearts.  She wants them to be perfect because they symbolize joy born into her life thanks to newly discovered territory. 
I tell my girls to open these doors of possibility with trust in a God who thinks differently than we to construct a life surpassing the best we can humanly imagine. 

I mean it.  I just don’t always do it well. 

And, why?  Because I might feel in over my head?  I will never leave you nor forsake you (Deut 31:6).  Because I might fail?  For I have plans for you (Jer 29:11).  Because opening new doors could take me to places I never planned to go? The mind of a man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps (Prov 16:9).

“I’m just so lucky God gave her to me like a second mom.”
She’s right, time wise and emotionally speaking.  And, the mama in me could not be more grateful for the influence and values both my girls’ teachers gift them.

She is where she is supposed to be.

Sometimes it is in new territory that our heart claims a home.  Where we are challenged to be our very best yet live comfortably in our skin. 
Dream catching.  It comes into existence behind doors that can feel uncertain and down-right daunting if we can just be brave enough to step through them. 
“Great things can happen when we try something new.”

And I wonder how often I’ve told myself you can’t do that or given the Lord my life with lip service but lived with restraint because of my human uncertainty without realizing that having a home in Him means falling into knowledge I don’t have full access to when making my decisions.  
Hannah took a leap into the unknown without weighing it against the comforts she knows.

And she’s living a richer life.

I’m certain the Lord beckons me towards the same, and I’m thankful for small earthly reminders of His constant provision in what feels like scary steps of faith.     
Today is the 100th day.  Hannah is looking forward to a party complete with activities and games. 



And, I’m looking forward to the same.

Because I’m pretty sure that life lived with open arms is a party that only continues to get better, filled with many grand milestones to be celebrated along the way.
Thank you, sweet child.  You teach me well.
Subscribe to Fill My Cup by Email

2 comments:

  1. Hopping over from Thoughtful Thursday! You have a gift with words... so beautifully written. Poetic. I hope your kids will be able to read this when they are older. It will be a special memory for them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...