Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread

I'm just going to go ahead and confess that I've never made bread before.  I've always had this idea of doing so and when my husband I were first married I saved all the "over ripe" bananas to make banana bread....until the bananas took over our freezer and my hubby finally asked if I had a plan for our ginormous collection.  The end result was him buying a loaf pan because, you know, that is necessary for the whole bread making thing, and making the bread himself.  I married a keeper :)

But, today when I woke up it was in the 60s, raining, and feeling like fall.  The cook in me wanted to try something new.  And, the minimalist in me is bound to actually try all my Pinterest recipes so that I'm not overwhelmed with meaningless recipes on my board that I could care less about.  The good news for my family in this is that they will get to try a lot of new recipes and break the monotony of my "staples."

So today was the day.  Pumpkin Chocolate Chip bread from the Java Cupcake sounded like the perfect treat with my coffee while we watched football and played with the kids.



It turns out they were equally as excited about it and jumped in to help so we spent together time preparing yumminess in the kitchen.  It was splendid.

This bread is fall apart lusciousness.  It may or may not be healthy.  I don't even care.  All I know is that my mouth wants more and that means you need to know about it because if I can make it, you surely can too :)

Here is what you need:
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 2/3 cup flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup + 1/4 cup chocolate chips, divided
  • powdered sugar for garnish
  •  
    To make it:
    1)  Preheat your oven to 350 and grease one loaf pan.
     
    2) Sift the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
     
    3) In a separate bowl combine the eggs, pumpkin, oil, vanilla, and sour cream until it is smooth.  {I used a hand mixer}
     
    4) Make a well of the dry flour mixture and pour the wet mix in.  {I transferred the dry mix into a KitchenAid and used that to mix it}.  Blend until it is smooth.  Fold in one cup of the chocolate chips.
     
    5) Pour into the bread loaf pan and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on top.  {Confession, I used more.  In fact these words came out of my mouth as I instructed my 8 year old future homemaker, "Oh honey, let me teach you one lesson about cooking. Never skimp on the chocolate chips."  I think this is solid advice.}
     
    6) Bake 60-75 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.  {It took ours 70 minutes}
     
    7) Let cool for 20 minutes and then lightly garnish with powdered sugar.
     
    The kids, who don't normally dig pumpkin recipes, clamored over this.  We gathered around the fall apart bread like we've never eaten a meal in our lives and chowed down.  It made for a perfect Saturday afternoon.  Sans the ugly Notre Dame loss. :)
     
    Don't miss making this, friends.  And, if you want the printable recipe be sure to visit the Java Cupcake link.  She has nice one for you!

    Subscribe to Fill My Cup by Email

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...