Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Fourth of July Waffles

Getting the kids to sleep tonight was tough... in fact they still aren't.  Holidays are cause for excitement in their world and after yard work and a movie today their first order of business was shopping for festive Fourth of July Shirts.  Tomorrow promises fireworks.  Sleep, apparently, feels over-rated.

To gear up for the "big day," we made a pre-Independence Day kick off brinner.  Grace hacked Charlie's pinterest and (with my permission) searched "Fourth of July holiday." She discovered this Flag toast and we decided to make a few modifications for our own version of patriotism.

Rocking the waffle iron, Charlie made these chocolate chip waffles.  I'm telling you, if you haven't tasted these, you need to.  They are GOOD!  While he did that, I washed blueberries and strawberries.  Then I cut the strawberries into thin slices. 

We placed the blueberries in the corner and then alternated the strawberries with canned whipped topping. 



Didn't they turn out cute? 

The whipped topping melted and moistened the waffles enough that you don't even need syrup.  Although, if you do, I would recommend strawberry syrup.  I may have added a tiny bit to mine. :)

While the kids made theirs they talked all about their new outfits and how we should do Fourth of July nails in the morning.  I guess I know what I'll be doing when they wake up. :)  Then we will have a day of meals and celebration with both sides of the family, including meeting some relatives that are visiting from Norway!

We are all hitting the pillow with anticipation for the joy tomorrow promises.  Hopefully yours will be filled with smiles and fellowship too.  Quoting the words of Grace's prayer tonight, "Come Lord Jesus, be our guest.  May this Fourth of the July be the best."

Subscribe to Fill My Cup by Email

1 comment:

  1. So cute and I am sure they must have been tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...