Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Activity Circus: Growing Summer Family Time in an Overbooked Culture

School isn’t yet out as I sit with my cup of coffee to write this.  However, the near turn of the calendar page promises that very soon summer will be here.  Alarms can be turned off.  Little girls with bed head can be welcomed next to me for morning snuggles rather than hurried into the kitchen for breakfast.  Outfits won’t need to be pre-picked to make sure there are no clothing dilemmas hindering getting out of the door on time (although something tells me mine still will because they are true girly girls).  The live-by-the-clock pace necessitated by the school calendar and any accompanying extra-curriculars can be momentarily abandoned for a slower paced life of freedom and flexibility.

Or at least in theory.
Ironically the modern mom longs forward to this precious season yet in a culture that believes keeping kids busy is better we sit before a mountain of papers offering opportunity for basketball camp, soccer, dance camp, tennis,  swimming lessons,  and the list goes on.  Each, in their own right, is good and offers chance for our children to grow and excel and smile.

But are we sacrificing the most meaningful smiles in the process?
The other day I sat with a group of women.  “I don’t know how I’m going to do this.  Three kids at three different fields at the same time with only two of us seems impossible,” said one.  Feeling her pain, another piped up.  “Between all our schedules I don’t even know where we are going to find time for a family getaway.”  And the conversation snowballed with a group of understanding moms genuinely trying to do their best to gift their children with activities they like but finding themselves frazzled in the process. 

Stress is real before the theoretical “slow down” even begins.
I’m in a bible study with a friend who’s befriended someone new to our country.  By our standards we would deem her homeland impoverished and underprivileged.  Yet, as she spoke to my friend she said, “It’s so loud here. It’s too busy to hear the voice of God.”

Much to “the land of opportunities” chagrin we are scurrying around in the name of good and between the split directions, outside voices, and attempts to beat the clock we might be losing what matters most.  Focused, faith-filled hearts.  Family togetherness.  Fulfillment in the simple.


In The Message Jeremiah 2:25 reads, “Slow down. Take a deep breath. What's the hurry? Why wear yourself out? Just what are you after anyway? But you say, 'I can't help it. I'm addicted to alien gods. I can't quit.”
And what are we after in these overbooked lives we lead?  Is it kids staying out of trouble?  Is it fun?  Somewhere buried underneath is it a status thing?  And how does this translate into our home?  Are we still experiencing the family table and getting the quality togetherness we longed for before the season started?  Or, is it snappy attitudes and shallow, rushed living?

Are we being pulled by alien gods that appear good but actually destroy?
When I walked away from that conversation I was convicted to prayerfully consider....

To finish reading my post please visit the newly done magazine style MODSquad site.  And, while you're there be sure to subscribe.  You won't want to miss an issue! 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much. I am in a place where I am trying to simplify and let God's voice in without all the "busy" in life interfere.

    God Bless and have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...