Monday, June 3, 2013

Hello Monday {Saying "No" Less & "Yes" More}

It's Monday.  A fresh beginning to the calendar week and an opportunity to say "Yes" to life in new ways.

I'm thankful for this gift because one of my biggest downfalls as a mom is saying "no" too easily.  I get so caught up in how I want things to look and my day to go that when the kids toss new ideas at me that weren't on my agenda I crush it before even considering the request.  It's not something I'm proud of but it happens and I'm making a conscious effort to change that.

For all of you fellow parents nodding your head in understanding (please tell me you exist), I'd suggest picking up Lysa TerKeurst's book "Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions."     I've been reading it while peddling away my midsection at the gym and it's a pretty great.

Over the weekend Grace and Hannah were invited to a skating party.  The birthday girl's mom asked if I could help chaperone and quite frankly the idea of 10 littles on the skates made me want to run for the hills.  But, with my hubby working my "no" felt validated and I considered it an opportune time to get some additional writing work done.  That was my plan



and then God worked on my heart, reminding me it was their first time and my friend really could use the help if I could swing it.  Out the door went my writing work but deposited into my heart were some beautiful memories and a whole lot of laughter with the kids. Turns out the skating rink does all the same games they did when I went there in the 80s.  Heck, they were probably the same skates, but I'm glad I put my feet in them again.  Hello, "downtown" and "dice game!"

Then Hannah left for VBS with different shoes on.  Both glittery and the same style on the correct feet, but one silver and one black.  Since they were sleeping at grandpa and grandma's the next two nights not correcting this meant her going to church for two days with different shoes on.  Hannah was all giggles thinking it was the perfect solution to not being able to decide which color to wear.  I, on the other hand, was thinking the adults present would be judging me the inept mother who repeatedly fails to notice that her kid is in mismatched stuff.  I know different socks are the "in thing" but I don't think different shoes have hit the new trends list.

Whatever.

The point of the week is that she is a wildly loved child of God, whether her shoes match or not.  Plus turning the van around felt like too much work and a waste of extremely expensive gas.  Hello, living on the wild side.  And this really is the wild side for me. 

The blessing in the older two getting special time with grandpa and grandma is that now I get an afternoon date with this adorable sassafrass who is 25 months old today.



We ventured out and she picked a chocolate mocha cupcake.  This probably stems from my letting her try a drink of my Starbucks and realizing she loved it a little too much, but, hey, there is milk in it so it has to have at least a little brain developing value, right?!  Who cares.  It is a rare event and she devoured every morsel.  Nap time happened later than it should've but her feeding me bites in between her own and offering me chocolaty kisses was totally worth it.  Hello, flexibility.

Time with our kids marches quickly and I'm well aware that every "yes" and "no" writes something on their heart.  I want them to know that I'm at least hearing and thinking about what they are saying before I respond.  And it's already made for some pretty amazing moments.  Join me in taking a deep breath & starting new.  "Hello Monday!"

Find more truth Behind the Scenes
  
Subscribe to Fill My Cup by Email

8 comments:

  1. This is a great post! I needed to read this. I have that same problem of saying "no" too quickly. I put other things like dishes or emails as a higher priority than playing Candyland with my daughter. I need to learn to let those little things go and enjoy this time while they are little! Especially my son who is already 5 months. I feel like he was just a newborn!

    Thanks again and hope you have a great week. Oh and I want to get in touch with you again some time to get info again about volunteering at that place you told me about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Thanks so much for linking up with me today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. {Melinda} I love this ... I'm the same way. It's tough for me to set aside my agenda. But I'm usually SO blessed when I do. Your little sassafrass is just too adorable. :)

    Visiting from the TMI Linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Unglued - found it very helpful. Kudos to you mom for slowing down and going with the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this.. reminds you to slow down and enjoy the little things of life! thanks :-) (and wowsers that cupcake looked good!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this - sometimes our "yes" seems so silly in the moment, but to these little ones it means the world - like letting my 4 year old pick out her own clothes, no matter how mismatched they might be and letting my 3 year old dress himself with his pants backwards and the same shirt he's been wearing for days because it's his favorite new shirt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this...I'm one of those mamas who's working on saying yes more often. I needed to read your words today. Thank you for sharing...blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When my kids were little I struggled with saying saying yes to playing but now that they are grown I wish I had said yes even more often.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...