Thursday, November 8, 2012

Don't Let Thankfulness Remain Idle. Act in Thanksgiving {+ a Chicken Wild Rice Soup recipe!}

“Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. 
Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. 
Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse.” 
Henry Van Dyke
 
With our oldest in first grade, we’ve officially joined the ranks of school parents.  Recognizing the incredible work our school’s staff and teachers do, I felt a prompting last year to give back those who are giving so much to the little people we love.  Less than a month later I received a call with a direct ask to co-chair staff appreciation.  If that isn’t a God thing I don’t know what is!  Done.  Deal.  I'll be a card carrying PTA mom. J

Ironically, as we turned the calendar page to November – the month where we focus on all we are thankful for – conferences started and we executed our first plan.  My co-chair and I designed each day around a theme and were quickly blessed with awesome parent volunteers who helped make each night a success.

 
 
 
 
It was the perfect way to kick off November.  I brought in



And was told it was gone instantly so here’s the recipe for y’all!

2 sm pkg Uncle Ben's long grain & whild rice (instant cook - the 90 second microwave kind)
3 (10 1/4oz) cans cream of potato soup
4 soup cans milk (I use skim)
1 small pkg Velveeta cheese
Finely cut, cooked chicken breast (amount as desired. I used 2 large ones.)
mushrooms if you want

Prepare rice and put in crockpot. Add soups. Use one of the cans and add 4 cans worth of milk. Cut cheese into chunks and add into crockpot. Cut your chicken breast into pieces and cook over stove. Add it (and mushrooms, if desired) into soup.


{At home I serve this soup in bread bowls and it makes for the perfect fall/winter main course meal}
It's embarassingly easy, but simple, cost-effective yumminess is how I roll!
As I wheeled the cart full of everyone’s food and beverage contributions back and forth, I was met many times over with teachers and staff literally gushing with thanks for each of the meals.  There was not one single time where a staff member passed without expressing gratitude. 

And God reminded me that sometimes what feels like a tiny, almost-too- simple act of thanks to me is multiplied into a meaningful gift that makes the day of another.

While you're counting your blessings this month, I encourage you not to let your thankfulness remain idle thoughts in your head.  Act in thanksgiving.  Write a note.  Donate a small gift.  Whatever He is calling you to do because people and ministries deserve to know they are appreciated...and God will take your little and make it big.
 

 

Subscribe to Fill My Cup by Email

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...