Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Family Journal

She came home from school and dropped it on the table.

 
“What’s this?,” I ask, smiling at her artsy handwriting.
“It’s a family journal,” she responds matter-of-factly.  “I write it in it at school and then the family member I write gets to write me back.”

Before I know it she’s out the door riding her bike and I turn my attention from the laughing seven-year-old girl out the window to the purple spiral bound notebook on the dining room table.  Inside I find a sweet note along with a humorous reminder that she doesn’t have school Friday…you know, in case I forgot. J

Who knew a 17 cent notebook could produce such joy?
From an incredible principal and office staff who not only keep track of but genuinely love our kids to top notch teachers who daily inspire our children, I can see God’s hand at work in her school.  And this journal is confirmation.

Ongoing written work to develop her writing is enriching our family in the process.
The frequency with which the purple journal makes its way home seems to increase.  Unique to the rest of her work, she takes it out of her bag and very obviously places it on the dining room table each time.  It’s the silent check this out, mom message.

So far I’ve read things as enlightening as did I know a spider had eight eyes complete with a diagram highlighting where they were located to priceless messages


That make my heart smile.
Grace loves her first grade teacher.  I’m forever thankful for her.

Because her inspiration has birthed new communication in our home that will extend many years beyond elementary school.
Obviously face to face communication with our children is most desired...

To finish reading this post visit MODSquad 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...