Wednesday, August 15, 2012

It's About Your Heart, Not Your Look

Every night before the children go to bed all of us gather in the older girls' room and we pray as a family - each taking turns lifting thanks and placing confidence in the God who sustains us.  Much like the family table, this is a moment I cherish.  It binds us together in a moment that matters most.

I have to admit, when Grace was a baby and Charlie and I started this tradition, I thought it would make me a good example.  I wanted the children to see that talking to God was important to us and hoped that in modeling that they would find it important too.

But last night, our four year old modeled something that inspired me.

As we sat together and bowed our head, I looked up to this



Hannah was earnestly speaking to Jesus... in a snorkel mask.

At first, I just thought it was funny.  And then I realized there was profound truth in this moment.

God just wants our hearts.  He doesn't care what we look like.

I've always known this to be true, but there are moments where I still get caught up in the bow my head, fold my hands, say the words, look serious for the prayer significant. 

And that limits my prayerful moments.

The sweet innocence of my four year old is a precious reminder that it is about coming to Him moment to moment just as we are that makes for a fulfilling 24/7 relationship. 




The kind we need to thrive.

So throw away the pretenses and commune with Him.  It's gotta make Him smile.

Shared at Faith Filled Friday, She Reads Truth, A Holy Experience

4 comments:

  1. I love this post - AND your picture! When I feel closest to God is when I am at my neediest. It's when I just stop whatever it is that I am doing and bare my heart to Him. When I drop all pretense and just speak my heart. Thanks for the reminder to drop the pretense of praying "correctly"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. This picture of your daughter will stay with me...and remind me of your words. God just wants my heart. How true!
    Stopping by from Faith Filled Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely precious! I'm pinning this one on Pinterest. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...