Thursday, August 16, 2012

Grill Theme Party



Today my man turned thirty three.  This is a particularly momentous birthday in our house because we started dating at 16, meaning we've now been together over half of our life.  I don't take one single day for granted with this AMAZING husband and father.  He is a gift from above.

To celebrate, we had a grill theme party.  We grilled burgers and had corn on the cob and I made a cupcake cake to replicate it. I'm not going to lie.  I was pretty impressed with myself. :)

My calendar features different cupcake cakes and this month was corn on the cob like this.  That served as a springboard for the party.  I chose to modify it a little and rather than using jellybeans for corn kernels the girls and I cut the yellow ends off of candy corn. {The rest is yellow cake cupcakes with yellow frosting in a yellow paper cupcake liner.  The "butter" is a Starburst candy.}

 

It has a more authentic look.

Then I played on words for the fun birthday sign.

For the burgers, I simply cut the yellow cake cupcakes in half and placed a slice of chocolate down for the burger and used the same yellow vanilla frosting that I used to ice the corn cupcakes as cheese.



These were surprisingly yummy. I was admittedly leary of cupcakes with no icing on the top.  It just seemed wrong.

Then, we played a game.  To further play on words, I explained to the girls that grill can also mean ask a lot of questions and we made up a "Grill Me" game where they got to ask daddy 33 questions...anything they wanted.



Their questions ranged from "What is your favorite Bible verse?" to "What would you do if a live pig chased you?"  This game even ended up being semi-informational for me when I found out he's been on 42 total plane rides and made me smile when he told them his favorite thing about Valentine's Day was having a date with me.

To end the night, he opened up a homemade card from Grace with a picture of the new grill he is getting for his birthday.  The grill master needs more burners to accomodate his growing family.  :)  There were only two of us when he got the first one.

It was a great night celebrating an incredible man we are all blessed to love.  Happy birthday, Charlie!

Shared at Craftionary, Six Sisters Stuff, Tasty Thursday, The Better Mom, Pintastic Monday, Titus2sdays, Raising Homemakers, WLWW, Kelly's Korner

5 comments:

  1. What a great party! I love the question game its so fun and a smart way to make fun or "roast" the party person!

    www.mommamadeit.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too cute!! I would love for you to link up to Tasty Thursdays at The Mandatory Mooch. The party is still open until Sunday night. http://www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2012/08/tasty-thursday-4.html

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun ideas for a grillin party!! Thanks for linking up to our Strut Your Stuff Saturday! We loved having you and hope you will come back soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, Melissa!! This theme party will be FEATURED this week. I love it and can't wait to try it myself someday. Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays at The Mandatory Mooch. Hope you will link up again this week. The party will be live tonight. www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...