Friday, July 13, 2012

{DIY} "Lose the Shoes" & Stay Awhile


I love pictures of little feet so I knew I needed to incorporate one into my foyer decor.  In my quest to make my home feel more homey, my foyer needed some attention.  Outside of the little black bench we painted for hats and mittens, nothing was there and it was time for that to change.

Recently, I was given this clock for my birthday. 



I'm kind of obsessed with the commanding large clocks and this one is perfect. 

Since you can see my dad's wreath - or so I call it - right next to it,


(All walls are the same cappuccino color. Lighting on the angles are deceiving.)

I added a Joshua 24:15 vinyl lettering surround.  I knew I wanted the verse somewhere on my walls and this worked perfect.



I especially love that it surrounds my dad's wreath because a lady dried and made that wreath for me with flowers from my dad's funeral. Together with my mom, he raised me in the church and as I think of the many gifts he gave me encouraging my faith was one of the best and certainly one I want to impart on my own children.

And, to fancy up the landing, I found this metal N monogram at Hobby Lobby.



I had to wait three weeks for it and pick it up at a store three hours north during a family trip, but it was totally worth it because not only does it look super cool, but it was half off. Yes!

The Please Lose the Shoes idea originated with a site I'd pinned, but my craft skills are limited and it seemed a bit complex.  So, I dropped the formal Please Remove Your Shoes, made it into a fun rhyme, and grabbed a picture of the little feet I love. 



To Make the sign I:
*got a frame that fit the setting (Hobby Lobby for $10)
*printed off a 4x7 black & white photo of the girls' feet (27 cents)
*bought scrapbook paper for the background (50 cents)
*bought glitter stickets to match other color objects in the foyer (Hobby Lobby $3.99)
*photo corners (that I had at home)

I put the photo corners on the photo, which I placed in the center of my scrapbook photo page.  Then I used my glitter stickers to write out my phrase, stuck it in the frame, and voila. Super cute!


With everything else it makes for a really fun space.  Now with an inviting entry, people can lose the shoes and stay awhile!

Shared at Six Sisters Stuff, Raising Homemakers, 24/7 Moms, The Better Mom, Adorned from Above, Craftionary, Pintastic Monday, Gussy Sews

9 comments:

  1. Love the take off the shoes sign. Need to get that one for my home!

    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the shoe sign also. I have a Blog Hop, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/07/surf-spray-and-wednesdays-adorned-from.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the invite! Unfortunately, the link isn't working once I go to add an image it won't connect & says the resouce can't be found. :(

      Delete
  3. What a great idea with the "lose the shoes" barefoot pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melissa! Stopping by from Kelly's. What great ideas! The wreath is especially beautiful. Blessings, Dani

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the N - I have been looking for something like that :-). I linked with Kelly too. So many great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those little feet are so cute. I love the sign and your giant letter.

    If you get a chance come link up this tutorial at my Pin Party.

    http://www.sarahdawndesigns.blogspot.com/2012/07/pintastic-monday-link-party-1.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...