Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I'm Over This Day..& It's Only 4pm!

Today’s been a rough day.  The kind where the kids are at each other, listening is lacking, and everyone’s patience is running thin.

When I woke up this morning I was going to be a great mother.  In my mind the day was going to happen like this: We were going to read books, color and have lunch.  Then we were taking a trip to Target (always a place of joy), Hobby Lobby for a pinterest inspired craft, and then an undisclosed location for some Father’s Day shopping.
But the day went like this.  The girls came in my room and immediately started in on competitive bickering over who “already knew” what the weather was going to be like. Seriously? We left for the kitchen and they colored. Praise God. The book reading can happen later. Small arguments continued to break out and one wrote on an item that wasn’t paper.  We needed a change of venue to say the least.  So, I presented this rosy picture of fun shopping and even offered a trip in to daddy’s work to say hello. 

It didn’t turn out so rosy. 
When we went into Hobby Lobby I explained that there were lots of breakables so please not to touch anything.  Somehow I still sounded like a broken record with the “please don’t touch that” to the point of frustration.  Then one of them put me over the edge and out of my mouth flew a slew of (reasonable) consequences and a quick exit from the store.

No fun times picking gifts.  Just one in a time out while I silently put away dishes, frustrated by the loss of the day I imagined.  Saddened by the lack of respect in the moment.  Embarrassed by my longing just to be by myself.
These children are a blessing.  I remember when we were longing with everything in us to have them.

The sound of a new text brought my attention to my phone.  As I picked it up, an image from my Instagram (@MelissaNesdahl) caught my attention.  Hannah was out on the deck blowing bubbles.  Something about the moment caught me and I snapped a photo

That I captioned “Hope Floats.” 

Where is the hope right now, Lord?  This is not the way that I want to spend my stay- at- home time with these growing children. 

Shortly thereafter I went to get the offending child from time out.  I hugged her and told her that I forgave her.  I mentally wiped the slate clean.

We went upstairs and another thing rubs me the wrong way.  I realize that at this point everything is irking me and I need space.  So, I did what every overly exasperated mother has done at least once in her life: I put myself in a time out.
The girls started doing a puzzle and I went to my room.  I shut the door and lay on my bed.  Lord, bed time isn’t for a few hours and this has been a rough one.  Give me some hope.  I turn my head to see my Bible on the nightstand.  Obvious.  I decide that it’s probably better to open it than just stare at it so I open to 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from Christ.”
Ouch.

I came into the Lord’s presence only to be smacked in the face with the reality that God has shown me tremendous patience, forgiveness, and guidance for me to pass on.  Something was getting my normally well mannered girls out of sorts and they needed help.  Not me locking myself in my room.
My kids aren’t perfect.  I’m not a perfect parent.  But, we do have a Perfect Parent.

With this reality, I brought the Bible out to the living room and read it to the girls.  I asked them how I could help them to feel better so they can turn the listening ears up.
Hannah quickly responded “more rest.”

This is really a no brainer. 
Summer is amazing.  I’m loving our zoo and pool trips, playing in the back yard, park excursions, and the list goes on.  But, the sun is out longer and little eyes struggle to fall asleep in the light of day.  And, less sleep plus more physical exertion equals worn out attitudes.

I’m not at my best when I’m tired either.
Life circumstances will wear us thin.  Parenting is not for the faint of heart.  But, hope floats.  When we lift our eyes Heavenward, we are infused with possibility to live Kingdom wisdom in a fallen world.

And when this happens we appreciate the simple things we might otherwise be too irritated to notice
Like, “I made you this.”


The day is redeemed.
If your day hasn’t turned out like you wanted it to… if you haven’t been the parent you dreamed of being…if today feels like a bust… press on.  Look up.  It will make everything around you look different.


********************************************************************************
Reminder: Don't forget to enter my bible verse necklace giveaway by 5/20/13.  You can have your favorite verse made into a custom pendant

Subscribe to Fill My Cup by Email

9 comments:

  1. Yep, just like that one. I know that feeling. Love that you went to the Lord with it. And of course, He answered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen sister! :)

    Deanna Konz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain! :) Great post! Hopping from A Holy Experience

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!! Such an encouragement to me ~ came over from Kelly's Korner Build 'em Up! I have taken many a "mommy time out" and it is such a help in the rough mommy moments! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic. I love that we do have a Perfect Parent. His grace is enough. Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for linking up with us! enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! Your words are so encouraging!! Thank you for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...