Thursday, May 10, 2012

Lunch Box Love Notes

Nine months ago I looked at a lunch box on my table and cried.  Of all the things we purchased to send Grace off to kindergarten, that one hit the strongest.  It symbolized of a new phase in life.  A bittersweet phase for a full time mommy.

When I wrote "The Lunch Box" I had no idea how much joy would fill her academic year.  And now, ironically, I find myself teary as I prepare her final kindergarten cold lunch.


I was inspired to do something special because lunch box love notes have been our "connection" when we've been apart during the day.  Every time she brought her lunch we'd leave a note for her to find and know we're thinking of her.

She loved them.  In fact, when I went to have lunch with her I would find a surprise treat as well.


They make me a smile.

The calendar shows a frown face on Friday, which means she's not impressed with what the school has to offer and will bring her own cuisine.  In preparation for the day, I finished her special bag and wrote the final kindergarten lunch box note. 


We will be keeping the lunch box love notes tradition for many years to come.  And, I'll definitely be making a big deal of each year's final cold lunch because these kids deserve to know how impressive we believe their academic success to be.

Congrats on completing your first year of elementary school, Grace.  We're proud of you!

6 comments:

  1. This little girl can have no doubt of her place in God's world. What a great example you are to her and she is reflecting that already in return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness. Such a sweet tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea as well! I've figured out how to tweak it to fit us for homeschooling next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super sweet. I bet she felt so special. Good job mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these! I know a dad who doodles Star Wars characters on his sons' lunch box napkins. They love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just the cutest thing!! She knows mom loves her!! Thanks for linking up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We loved having you and hope to see you back next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...