Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Faithful

It’d been a long day.  The kind that’s filled with good and happy activity but leaves you exhausted by nightfall. 

Once the three girls were resting soundly in bed I needed some mindless activity.  So, I pulled out a beautiful pink ribbon that I’d saved off a gift and an old wrought iron frame that was doing nothing but collecting dust in the laundry room to create a simple, but powerful visual for Ava’s room.
When we took her newborn pictures we got this awesome shot of my husband’s hands framing a heart shape around her chubby, precious feet



And our wedding rings around her big toes.  Because the photo captured God’s beautiful familial design and answered prayer so powerfully, it instantly became a favorite.  But, I’d failed to do anything with it.  Don’t judge, time is hard to come by for a busy mama.  Hannah’s baby book has been updated since she was eight weeks old. Adios scrapbooking, hello Shutterfly…but I digress J  Anyhoo, knowing my love for the picture, my mother in law had it made into a stunning block print for Ava’s first birthday.
I imagined marrying it with 1 Samuel 1:27 I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him” would make for the perfect wall.  After all, it was a verse I prayed thanksgiving over with each of my children after sitting in a doctor’s office and wondering if we’d ever be able to have them.

My hands worked to weave the ribbon through the frame as I soaked in God’s presence in the silence.  My printer spit out verse on the scrapbook paper I hand selected and font I’d carefully thought through.

And I stood pretty impressed with myself, admiring my little DIY project for a few minutes, before allowing my hubby to bring it into the Noah’s Ark nursery and match it with the print.

When I finally fell under the covers, I was ready for a full night sleep.  But shortly after falling into the much anticipated deep slumber
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Popped my eyes open.
Was that? No. Couldn’t be….

I closed my eyes again hoping against all hope that the cries would stop.  No dice.

As I walked to her room, I had only one question….
Why, God? I REALLY could use a full night sleep. What kind of mama can I be if I’m running on empty?

I reached her bed and Ava’s adorable cheeky grin greeted me.  God was brilliant in how he created kids because only a cute little baby can make an overly exhausted parent smile in the mid night hours.
I gently picked her up and snuggled her chubby cheek up to mine while gently rocking her in a circle.

“Shhh, sweetheart, you’re gonna be okay.”
And I soaked in the images as I turned.

A cross

The animals



A quilt my mom made for us



Along with her hand stitching

All reminders of a biblical story that hits home for tired mamas.  Noah had be strung out and exhausted.  Forty days of literally having his boat rocked (like we figuratively do so often in life) but choosing to trust God through it all had to be taxing, but he had faith his Lord would provide calm, rested days, filled with blessing, ahead.

And then, as my eye caught the wall decorated by the new block print and my night's project


my mind stilled and I could hear God whisper into my overly tired soul,
“Shhh, sweetheart, you’re gonna be okay.  Remember?  I am faithful..always.”

4 comments:

  1. how wonderful is this post?! I love your perspective....I realized too that babies and loire are so worth the effort!!
    great photo too!!
    good luck getting a night sleep..
    I am your newest follower from the hop..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very cute!! Love the picture with the baby feet and heart!! We are so glad you joined our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". We love to see all of the great recipes and ideas!! Thanks and we hope to see you again next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post!!!
    My baby is 17... and gives me so much joy!
    Blessings to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that beautiful photo of the baby feet.... what a blessing. All of your projects are so sweet. The verse is one of my favorites, I've used it on our homemade baby announcements. I came from RH link-up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...