Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Championing our Children: An "Oh The Places You'll Go" Tradition

Yesterday I volunteered in Grace's classroom for the last "regular" school day this year - just a field trip and big end of the year party left.

We are blessed to have her in a school that not only welcomes but encourages parents to play an active role in the children's learning experience. In fact, Grace's class had a parent in the classroom each day. Being a "room mom" has made me so appreciative of the incredible creativity teachers have in presenting concepts and the patience and love shown by every staff member in the building.

All of these individuals champion our kids. They help inspire and encourage them, leaving a lasting imprint on their lives.

And I am thankful.

So, I started a gift that excites me beyond belief.

I've often given the book "Oh The Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss to high school graduates with a special note in the front cover. It's a great book for all ages with a message relevant to everyone.

However, when I saw this free printable by Lisa's Workshop on pinterest


I jumped on board.

When I went to volunteer yesterday, I pulled out the book after the kids went to gym for Grace's school teacher to sign. I've personally decided to also include principals, office staff, counselors, etc. because they are invaluable to a positive school experience. Thankfully, Hannah is going to have the same preschool teacher Grace did so I will go back for hers.

While the principal (who is a young mother herself) signed, she repeatedly commented that she loved the idea and wanted to do it for her own kids. That got me thinking that not everyone is on pinterest and even for those of us that are we don't always happen across everything that we'd like to do, but many of you have children and might want to start the tradition yourself...so I'm passing along someone else's brilliance for you today. :)

I can't imagine a more special gift for my girls when they graduate than opening a book cover to find love from all the teachers and school staff they've so dearly loved along the way.

In this case, pinterest has made me a better mom. True story.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome. I saw this idea on Pinterest but my kids are all already out of elementary school which made me sad. Glad to see someone is doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea! I totally want to do this if I have kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. I have a 3rd grader right now. Luckily I am friends with his 1st & 2nd grade teacher so maybe I can cheat a little and get them to sign it.
    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a super cute idea! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...