Thursday, April 19, 2012

What's Cookin'? {& my DIY Menu Board}

Confession: When I was first married I planned to have both sides of our family over for a traditional Thanksgiving meal. Unfortunately, I took my mom’s words “Take the turkey out of the freezer a few days in advance” literally and one bad smelling turkey and gross garbage can later I still have PTSD.

On the up side, I threw it out before poisoning anyone and I did make this soup for the first time that night. It instantly became a family fav... proof that every cloud has a silver lining. :)

Since then my culinary skills have grown and I actually love to cook. However, between family schedules, my writing, etc., life is busy and I discovered the need for a visual reminder of what I planned to make. So, I began looking for a cute menu board to accent my kitchen walls. Quickly discovering premade options to be spendy, I looked to pinterest, which, by the way, has unearthed a whole new level of crafty in me I didn’t know existed.

I found several that didn’t fit my style. But, I came across a dry erase “to-do” board that got my wheels spinning and I came up with this.


Didn’t it turn out nicely?!

My kitchen is bright. I LOVE my red walls and the color accents on top of the cabinetry are red, blue, and green so it was fun to bring out blue and green color on the wall.


To make it I simply used a 12x12 black frame, glitter day of the week stickers, scrapbook paper that I already had, and dry erase markers. Before framing the paper, I adhered the stickers. I figured having them underneath the glass would protect them and give it a classier look.

Since we are memorizing a MODSquad monthly memory Bible verse, I created the “enjoy today” box. It’s been a fun way to keep the verse front and center.


I write directly on the glass and erase with a tissue.

Voila.

So there you have it. A peek into my kitchen and the reveal of my crafty side. This cheap, easy, and pretty wall d├ęcor helps me keep track of what’s cookin.’

And for any wondering, that still doesn't include turkey. :)

5 comments:

  1. Super cute kitchen and I love the menu board. The color makes it such a happy and warm place to be! Thanks for sharing this great craft idea. We loved having you link up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Please join us again next week! Thanks! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO much cuter than the piece of paper I hang on the fridge - and my kitchen is red too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's fabulous looking - I wish I was organized enough to even plan my meals, much less have an adorable board to write them down on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kitchen is also red but more of a brick shade. Cute board!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that there is a place for that week's verse. I want this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...