Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Birdhouse Fun & Matthew 6:26-27

Over Grace's springbreak it was my goal to do some fun activities with the kids. When I saw that the Outdoor Campus was giving away free birdhouses, I quickly fed them lunch and off we went to claim our prize. However, when we arrived, they were gone.

But, my girls are really in to birds right now and I knew that they would love painting some. So, I gathered them back into the car and off we went to a nearby Michael's.

I quickly learned that birds have pretty swank surroundings these days.

Grace chose a bird castle and Hannah a two story house with a picket fence.




Their friend painted an adorable girly flower. And for all you boy moms, fear not, designers have been sure to keep equality in mind. Pirate ship houses were available for purchase as well. :)

The girls had a blast painting them and were off to play house while they dried.

But God tugged at my heart.

There is more to this craft than simple fun.

We just finished our DIY Resurrection Eggs. This was a perfect opportunity to reinforce the Lord's ongoing, ever present love. He didn't endure the cross, rise again, and disconnect from their life. He rose and we are in constant relationship.

A wooden birdhouse to demonstrate His intimate love.

The next day I call them back to the table. We open the Scriptures and Grace begins to read




"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" Matthew 6:26-27


We talk about Jesus' awareness and constant provision for all our needs. Then, they dip their thumb in paint and add a thumbprint heart to the back of their houses as a reminder of His personal love for them.




Before we wash hands I encourage them to think about this lesson every time they see a bird. Since then I've discovered that they see a lot of birds and that they got the message. Hannah runs inside with every sighting and yells, "I saw a bird and Jesus knows all my needs."

Cheap fun (the birdhouses ranged in cost from $1 to $4.99) resulted in a meaningful visual. If you are looking to teach this Scripture to your kids or classroom, this illustration is a powerful, super cute permanent reminder. I can't wait to get their bird mansions posted in our yard!

6 comments:

  1. What a blessed lesson. I love it when scripture comes alive for my children (and for me!) Thank you for this, it was waonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. stopping by via A Holy Experience...was just talking about this verse today with my sister. I think I am going to take a page from Hannah's book. Everytime I see a bird, i'm going to tell myself: "Jesus knows all my needs."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for confirming what God has told me over and over again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Beautiful birdhouses and a beautiful reminder of God's care for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We loved your post! Thanks for coming to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you'll be back soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...