Wednesday, March 28, 2012

When the Parenting Manual Fails to Prepare You for the Situation You Face...

She came up stairs dressed and ready for the day with a big smile painted across her face.

“Mom, I’m ready for you to put French braids in my hair.”

I hugged her and got out the comb while she took her place in front of the mirror.

In a matter of moments I parted her hair and prepared to braid.

“Mom, I have a few coughs.”

“Okay, sweetheart, when did that start?”

“Just now.”

Her head sways slightly to the left and I know her braids will be crooked if she doesn’t hold still, which is certain to cause six year old heartbreak.

“Please let me know if your coughs get worse, honey. And, please keep your eyes forward of we can’t do your braids.”

“Okay, mommy. My tummy kind of hurts too.”

Annnnnnnnnnnd drop. My arms desperately reach for my sweet girl crashing towards the hallway carpet but they fail.

Dear God, what am I supposed to do? This was not covered in “What to Expect When You’re Expecting?” Do we go to the ER? Can I wait a half hour and call the pediatrician?” God what is going on? Please, PLEASE protect my girl.

My husband picks her six year old body up and carries her to the couch...

To finish reading my post & discuss how you balance protecting your child with letting go, please visit MODSquad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...