Sunday, March 11, 2012

Counting Our Blessings {Despite Influenza A}

I'm not going to lie. It's been a rough week. Wednesday began with Grace suddenly passing out while I was doing her hair for school and Thursday ended with Ava (10 months) being diagnosed with Influenza A. Since my mommy heart had to snuggle my baby I too ended up with with this horrible flu (despite all getting our yearly vaccine. Apparently they didn't have the serum quite right for the strain this year). Today we're all fever free and I'm feeling somewhat normal again so I thought it would be good to count my blessings because, in the midst of the chaos, there have been many-

* Grace didn't hit her head on the door when she passed out. She came within an inch.

* The fact that Grace passed out - as odd as that sounds. She had no fever or any other indicator of illness. If she hadn't passed out she would have gone to school and stressed her body out more.

* A GREAT pediatrician's office. We called right when they opened and they saw Grace immediately. Xrays revealed inflammation in her lungs and air around her heart from a virus.

* The pediatrician bummed Grace out when she said she had to stay home from school for the day but ELATED her when she printed copies of the xray for Grace to show her class. They just finished a unit on the body.


* Our incredible school. Naturally I was nervous about Grace going back and they completely put me at ease and kept me updated on how she was doing.

* Our pediatrician's office. AGAIN. When Ava suddenly spiked a high fever Thursday afternoon and I descrived her symptoms they felt she should be seen and I set an appointment for first thing Friday morning. I thought we were done but then the nurse called me again to say she spoke with the other nurses and doctor on call and felt I should bring her in right away. Since I had an appointment set, she could have let it be, but she took the initiative to make sure my baby got the care she needed when she needed it.

* A smart acute care doctor. He wanted to test for Influenza and I basically suggested it wasn't necessary since we were all vaccinated. He said they've seen a lot of positives in the vaccinated community this year and sure enough, my baby was added to that group. :(

* My in-laws. They graciously took Hannah on Friday so that she could be away from the germ pool and I could care for my sick baby. Knowing they were both getting the attention they needed was invaluable.

* The faithful prayers of family and friends...even sweet Western North Dakota folk we don't even know thanks to my sister in law.

* My in-laws. AGAIN. My asthmatic lungs couldn't hold a candle to the wicked flu bug so they took the older two to an event our immediate family had been anticipating for months.

* My husband. He is an incredible caretaker. While I shook in bed with a fever & endured a headache that seriously felt like someone drilling into my head he made me chicken noodle soup, brought me meds, played with kids, did laundry, and cloroxed the house.

* My bed.

* TamiFlu. Both my baby and I qualified for this because of age and lung issues and neither of us had the fever for more than 24 hours. It's worth the money.

* Chicken noodle soup, 7-Up, and monster cookie ice cream.

* Little Nebbie. That is the name we gave my nebulizer when we were first married because it went basically everywhere with us since was asthma was so bad. It's since gotten so controlled that I'm on very little meds and rarely need it, but this week 3 out of the 4 females in this house have needed it. We've labelled the masks so that we don't share germs :)


* Pinterest. I added lots of new recipes and craft ideas for the kids to my boards while breathing in the albuterol goodness.

* Laughter. In true form my brother texted me this after hearing the news, "You people need to stay away from society for a while and then hire intek to come clean your infested house." Literally made me laugh out loud.

* Better abs. My stomach hurts from blowing my nose so often and coughing so hard. I don't care to make this a primary form of exercise but I'll take whatever muscle tone I can get. :)

* Healing. We've all been fever free for the last 24 hours!!!!

* Perspective in God's Word.

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart greatly rejoices, And with my song I will praise Him." Psalm 28:7

Please join me in praying protection over my husband and 4 year old who have so far dodged this mean bug. And now, I'm off to take a nap. I'm not 100% but we're all most definitely on the mend!

4 comments:

  1. Hi neighbor...so so sorry to hear about your week...but such sweetness here...still able to count the hard euchariseo...such a blessing...a prayer for protection and continued recovery for you...blessings as you heal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you've had quite the week. I am so thankful that Grace was okay after passing out, and that it was nothing serious. I bet she enjoyed showing off that picture to her friends and teachers. So sorry you and Ava got the flu. So not fun, but thankful for great doctors, rest and most of all, His healing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learn what you need in combination with good abdominal exercise to get great looking abs. Machines to work the abdominal muscles are advertised everywhere: magazines, infomercials and in fitness catalogs. Advertisers claim their machine will get rid of fat and leave you with a good looking midsection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't get the flu vaccine. There are so many bad things it has been linked to, and this article shows it's not a guarantee you won't get sick. I know this goes against conventional thought, but do some research that is readily available on the internet. The flu vaccine does more harm than good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...