Monday, December 5, 2011

Gifting Our Children

This poem needs little introduction. Tucked inside Grace's bag by her incredible teacher, I knew as I read it I needed to pay the encouragement forward. We can get busy this time of year in the name of saught after gifts, but what our little ones desire most is our hearts.


Gifts Money Can't Buy

What shall we give the children,

now that the holidays are almost here?

Toys, games and playthings

as we do every year?

Yes, for the magic of toyland

is part of the Yuletide lore,

To gladden the heart of childhood;

but I shall give something more.

I shall give them more patience,

a more sympathetic ear;

A little more time for laughter;

or tenderly dry a tear.

I shall take the time to teach them

the joy of doing some task;

I will try to find time to answer

more of the questions they ask.

Time to read books together

And take long walks in the sun;

Time for a bedtime story

after the day is done.

I shall give these to my children.

Weaving a closer tie;

Knitting our lives together

With gifts money can't buy.


Reprinted from the New York Parent-Teacher


Love your little ones well, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...