Saturday, April 30, 2011

I'm So Blessed

ANY MOMENT now I could go into labor. Pam & I got manuscript number two in. My hair is freshly dyed and I’m sporting a new pedicure complete with toe bling. Bring on the labor!

As I await the “big moment,” I’m thankful for a woman is deeply woven into our family and will be a part of this blessed event.

My doctor.

God brings people into our lives in unique ways. When I started college, I believed God was calling me into medicine. Matched through a class, I spent hours with my now doctor observing, learning, and growing. She encouraged me when I wanted to throw my organic chemistry book out my dorm window and championed my skills.

Over time, God obviously revealed to me otherwise. I KNOW I’m meant to be a stay at home mom and author. It provides for both me and my family the perfect balance.

But, He would connect us bigger, better, and stronger ways.

A situation landed me in her office for help. Things wouldn’t go easy for us when we first wanted a child. And then when we finally did have a positive pregnancy test and healthy ultrasound, we would find out just weeks later in her office with her doing the ultrasound that we had lost the baby.

Our hearts were broken. Yet, it was her that prayed with us, cried with us, and helped me to truly see that motherhood – from the moment of conception – calls one to wear their hearts on their sleeve. It is never easy or comfortable. But, it is a joy no words could express.

“You will be able to be a mother again, one day,” she whispered.

When Grace entered our lives, she was not on call, but there she was through a long labor helping us safely bring her into the world. She is named after our doctor.

Shortly after Grace turned one we found out we were expecting again. I was shocked. She wasn’t. “God is bigger than medicine, Melissa,” she said on the phone.

Hannah came into the world again in the evening and again when she wasn’t on call. But she was there. She and her husband would serve as her Godparents.



In these few years, our lives have remained intertwined. She has assisted Pam and I when we have medical questions for our work. She’s shared in my faith and encouraged me to grow, stretch myself, and really follow God’s call for my life.

My doctor is more than my friend. She has stood in the gap to mend my broken heart and she has shared with us in moments of life’s greatest joy. Through valleys and mountaintops, she has had the right words.

I’m so blessed. We are so blessed.

Now we await number three, another surprise gift from God. I know that she is hoping for a nice weekday, daytime delivery (and I can’t blame her – she has a 24/7 job and still finds time to be super mom and volunteer like crazy), but I’d take tonight. I mean, having some random stranger say to you in McDonalds, “Wow. You got twins in there” is just not good on the human psyche! :)

But, we can’t wait for her to be present as we round out our family with baby number three. Her presence in my life is a special gift from God.

Thank you, Dr. Seger for your friendship, your direction and advice, your living faith, your tremendous sacrifices, your skills as a “baby catcher,” and your incredible wisdom. We love you!



I pray that you all have the opportunity
to thank someone this week
who has encouraged you in your day to day life.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa,
    You are an inspiration! Praying for you and your family as you anticipate and prepare for your new blessing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...