Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Say "Thank You" Challenge


Did you know that today kicks off National Write a Letter of Appreciation week? True story (March 1-7).

While I sometimes find these day and monthly observances to be silly/pointless, this one is different. Think about it. When was the last time you got a snail mail letter from someone simply saying they appreciate you? And, doesn't it excite you when you open the mail box and see something beyond bills or anticipated cards for celebrations?

I love it!

Really, the art of a handwritten letters seems to have gotten lost in our highly technological age. It's quicker to post "thank you" on a Facebook wall or in a text than to sit down, plan something (a little deeper) out, get a stamp, and drop it in the mail. But, that effort speaks volumes.

1 Thessalonians 5:11 begins, "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up...."

God wants us to do this!

Yet, for some reason, we often hold feelings of true appreciation for others to ourselves - in a lock box for no one to hear or know. But, life affords no guarantees for tomorrow and there are many in our lives who have or are making our days brighter.

Shouldn't they know it?!

So, this week I am inviting you to join me in a say "Thank You" challenge. Whoever it is that is enahancing your life - a friend, a teacher (past or present), a doctor, a babysitter your kids love, a co-worker, etc. - write them a thank you and send it off.

Next week on the 8th I'll be back with a short post about who I sent my letter to. I'd love to hear who you blessed as well. (I'm totally not tech savvy so if you all think it would be fun to do some linkly love with this I need help with free linky tools compatible with blogspot. Otherwise we'll stick to comments).

Doesn't the idea of knowing that you will make someone smile put a grin on your face and make it totally worth the few minutes of your time?!

This is one observance that I am thankful for. Join me!


*update* I believe I found a linky widget tool for a link up on the 8th! It'll be my first try at it so check back and hopefully all will be in working order! :)

5 comments:

  1. I must admit that I send few handwritten notes nowadays. I rely on the internet to help me send my words of appreciation. I'll have to work on this in future . . . I'm visiting with iFellowship. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is a great challenge. Funny, I was thinking about this very topic this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack, yes I need to do the handwritten thing more! I have a thank you note that I owe to a family member for a beautiful gift that they sent. (thanks for the reminder!) I've been trying to teach my son (5) about doing this, too. It's so important!

    I've been using inlinkz.com for linky's lately. I'm pretty sure that they're compatible with Blogger....(and it's free).

    Visiting from iFellowship - hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making handmade note cards. It makes the recipient feel so special. :)
    I'm looking forward to your linky. I'll check back.
    :) Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I don't often make cards but am always up for a challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...