Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Treats

Still looking for the perfect Valentine's treats for your child's class party?

How cute are these?!?!

I'm in charge of treats for Grace's party tomorrow and I must admit I struggled. Valentine's Day has traditionally been defined by a societal celebration of romantic love. But, let's be honest - little kids aren't celebrating romantic relationships nor do we want them to be!

I want my children to know the Author of love. When they think of Valentine's Day, the fun cards and good treats are fine, but I want them to think primarily of the love that Christ has for them and how He defines it.

Initially, I was looking for some kind of treat that I could do something with the Scripture

Love is patient, Love is kind... 1 Cor 13:4

Because God loves in this special manner and wants us to recipricate that. In young minds, that translates to respecting parents and being nice to siblings and friends. As they age and get into dating relationships, it means respecting the body of the person they date as well as their own (because selfish romantic desires are understood not to be of Him).

Essentially, understanding God's deep, personal love for them now will help them to have healthy Valentine's Day celebrations down the road.

Unfortunately, when trying to put this message into something food, my creativity failed me. However, I ran across this very cute recipe on Disney's family fun site and I made a few modifications.

Rather than saying "I choo-choose you" the banner reads "God choo-chooses you." With the cupcakes prepared, tracks pasted on, and train items ready to go, I plan to let the 4 & 5 year olds assemble and place the train on their treat while talking to them about how special they are to God.

Pretty fun, right?

I wanted to pass the idea along just in case you - like me - have procrastinated in the party planning arena!

4 comments:

  1. These are ADORABLE!!!!!! :) Oh my word! You are just SO creative and you're welcome in my room ANYTIME, friend!!! I will pray that I get Grace!! What a JOY that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I found you on Seeds of Faith and am now following your blog. I love these choo-choo cupcakes! What a great idea. Cute jello for the superbowl too. I can't wait to see what you come up with next! :)
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! How did they go? I love your creativity. Thanks for linking up for my new linky party! That made my day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...