Sunday, January 16, 2011

Traversing Life's Desert

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary & carry heavy burdens….”

Sometimes life feels like a desert.

Dry. Harsh. Thorny. Bleak. Desolate.

This week many around me have experienced unwelcomed pain, leaving people feeling parched and lonely. I’ve had prayer requests for difficult work situations, challenging health diagnoses, rocky relationships, etc., and I’ve joined twitterverse in praying for a family who lost their home, a young mother whose husband died in a tragic accident, and another wife & mom who suffered from a stroke.

The heat of life sucks away one’s breath.

But when life dehydrates us, God fills our pores with His hydrating spirit.

One with an open heart doesn’t necessarily see circumstances change immediately, but they are provided Life-Given energy to put one foot in front of another. Uninvited fear and pain gives way to refreshed peace. There is hope.

God promises to be living water (John 4:10) every moment of every day. He gives us what we need in every situation so that we no longer seek comfort and strength from the things in this life, but from the One who has conquered this world.

So drink the Living Water.

And, as you do so, I invite you to share in the comments any prayer requests that you’d like others in the body of Christ to raise on your behalf.

You are never alone. Christ meets you intimately where you are at. And, the community He created you in lifts you up.

We ALWAYS have what we need in the Lord.

Beyond that, He promises

...and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

4 comments:

  1. I'd like to start....I got news this morning that a friend in ministry - young wife and mom - who is awaiting a heart transplant is going to need to be transferred across the United States. Please pray for a miracle for their family & a smooth transition as they are separated from their child. Follow them at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tonyachristman/journal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement. Isn't it awesome that HE provides the living water, we only need to choose to drink?!

    carla@carlamaclachlan.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post! It's hard to comprehend the difficulties the families in your post are going through. (My heart breaks for them, and I'm keeping them in my prayers.) Even much smaller difficulties can make life feel like a desert at times. So true that we need to drink the Living Water ... and that "We ALWAYS have what we need in the Lord."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm praying daily and singing a song every morning asking the Lord where He wants me to serve Him...should I continue my journey as an Elementary Principal, become a Professor at a local university (particularly Saint Mary's University where my love for the Lord could shine through and I could attend daily Mass at the Chapel), or become an author writing Christian books about some of the crosses that I've carried in my life that may help others who struggle as well. I would love my first book to be titled, "It Shouldn't Hurt to Be a Child." Unfortunately, my timeline and the Lord's answers aren't always the same so I'm asking Job to give me some of his patience :) I pray that you, too, will pray for His sign in my life, Melissa. Thanks so much and God's peace to you, my dear!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...