Saturday, January 1, 2011

Intentional Living in 2011

Today many people awoke geared up to execute a New Year's resolution. I've never been a fan of New Year's resoultions in my own life because it is typically one self-focussed thing that I forget about or fail to achieve. BUT, I do want to live intentionally. Rather than improving just one aspect of my life, I want to grow in all areas of life so that my life models the faith I profess and my everyday actions extend His hands and feet to the people around me.

Given the times we live in, here are the ten things I am choosing to focus on and would challenge you to do the same.

1) Put God first and trust in His goodness…even when life doesn’t “feel” good. Reading Scripture regularly will help.

2) Tell your family you love them every day.

3) Tell your friends you appreciate them. Don’t just wait for “thank you” moments.

4) Take care of your body. It is the temple of the Holy Spirit.

5) Don’t let our technological age replace quality face to face, heart to heart conversation.

6) Aim to bring a smile to the face of another – volunteer, send snail mail, sponsor a child, etc.

7) Slow down. We live in a fast paced society that causes us to miss the small blessings He places before us. (I’m trying to be especially cognizant of this as a stay at home mother of two small children with a third on the way.)

8) Reach for your goals/dreams. Don’t just sit around waiting and thinking about it. Actually put one foot in front of the next and trust that if it is from God it will be blessed. (My goal is to complete another book manuscript in 2011!)

9) Do something special for you. You need “refueling” to be spiritually full and able to extend His blessings to others. (I accomplish this through a girl’s getaway to Women of Faith each year!)

10) Let go of “to do’s” so you can follow God’s agenda each moment of every day. It will benefit and bless you far more in the long run.

What are you focussing on this year? Whatever it is, I pray that you bring it to Christ, the author and perfector of our faith, to bring eternal fulfillment to your days ahead.

Happy New Year!

10 comments:

  1. Hello! I’ve hopped from the Weekend Wander blog hop and landed on your lovely blog. I found this a most thought provoking post and enjoyed it so much i snooped around at a few of your other posts. (Hope you don't mind) I am now your newest follower.
    Please drop by and maybe follow me if you fancy a laugh. I'd be delighted to welcome you.
    Warm wishes for a very happy 2011
    Carol from www.facing50withhumour.blogspot.com
    – the blog that gives you laughter lines. (Has that put you off?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,
    Love the thoughts and intentions. I am so proud of you! I love your blog and being able to stay connected--even if it is only in cyberworld.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa, I love your blog title and this post about living intentionally instead of proclaiming yet another list of New Year's Resolutions. I couldn't have put it better myself. Just the thought of letting go and allowing God to be the director in our lives stretches the imagination. Can't you just see the blockbuster movie that would come out of a life lived with such intention. It makes me giddy, happy, and inspired. I am soooo very glad to have found your blog through the Weekend Wander blog hop and I am excited to go explore more of your posts...I am follower #43 and you can find me over at http://wwwtheskinnyonmini.blogspot.com and http://www.janetsjournal-inherpeace.blogspot.com ~ Blessings, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Words to live by, Melissa. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great list! My word for 2011 is "focus" as I seek to concentrate on spiritual growth, stewardship, healthy living and personal development.

    Have a great afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have created a wonderful list--I'm glad I hopped and found it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, I need to remember No. 5! thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the invite from the (in)Courage Twitter party! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa, these New Year's resolutions are absolutely incredible...maybe I'll just copy and paste them to my life if that's okay?!?! I went to the Women of Faith Conference in Minneapolis with my Mom, 2 sisters, and some of my nieces a couple of years ago. It was a life changing experience and it was amazingly moving to sing God's praises with so many Christians around me. My motto for life is "Let go and Let God!" He is my core and center...happy to hear we have that same connection, my dear. God's peace to you, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...