Saturday, January 29, 2011

Drew's Dreams

Every child is intentionally created with intrinsic value and purpose by God Almighty. But, I have to tell you all about today because we had a special time celebrating one very special child, Drew.



Many of us laced up our walking shoes and gathered at the mall


to show support in finding a cure for juvenile diabetes
because each day this little boy that we all know and love is pricked around the clock and gets insulin through a pump to manage his health. Amazingly, he doesn’t even wince when it’s time for the blood draws. He’s a tough little man.

As we drove to the walk, I was remembering the call his mom made to me from the ER. Sara has been one of my best friends for many years. Naturally, when I heard her tear-filled voice on the other end telling me that Drew, then only a year and a half, was diagnosed with diabetes, I got teary too. “I don’t want this for him.”

My heart broke.

Drew was not only her baby, but now her baby that was in for a radically different life. Constant monitoring and management would be a way of living. He wouldn’t just eat and leave the dinner table for his bath. He would get poked first. He couldn’t just run around like a growing boy and then relax. There would need to be a blood draw.

In fact, the news aired this clip on them this week-

But, as we left the walk, I praised God because if you met Drew’s family you would know that John and Sara appear cool as cucumbers. Sure, they didn’t want this for him. Nobody does. However, God knew what He was doing when he made John and Sara Drew’s parents. They are brilliant beyond measure. They know exactly how to balance letting him live like an active four year old boy while meeting all his health needs.

And, in the midst of it, we’ve seen them live out Faithfulness.
They are all-

Patient – “This calls for patient endurance on the part of the saints who obey God's commandments and remain faithful to Jesus.” Revelation 14:12

Wise – “Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise” Proverbs 19:20
Fearless – “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10

Determined – “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:13

At Peace - "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life?" Matthew 6:27
Hopeful – “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13

Joyful – “Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice” Philippians 4:4

Prayerful – “pray continually” 1 Thessalonians 5:17

Though this challenge is one the family would never choose, they have become a living witness to everyone around them. So, to the entire Weber family, thank you for showing the world today and always how to glorify God despite circumstances we are made to face. We admire you.

May we all look at our circumstances and find comfort knowing we are in the loving arms of an incredible God!



In thanks for the gifts this precious boy has both shared with & taught me, I'm linking up to

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...