Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cooking with the Kiddos

Outside of my window the snow is slowly increasing. Fearless neighbors are braving the NEGATIVE 11 degree temperature (That is not a typo my reader friends down south. It is simply an ungodly temp.) to snowblow, clearing driveways and walking paths.

When the weather started dropping on Sunday, I told the kids that we wouldn't be going anywhere except preschool. The risks of the cold temperatures hurting their skin & my healing injured foot in my second trimester of pregnancy just doesn't make it worth it for any of us. But, but, the weather just keeps getting colder. In fact, today is apparently considered balmy to the temperatures we will endure tomorrow. Awesome.

Needless to say, the boundless energy of my 5 and 3 year old girls has required some indoor creativity. We've colored more pictures than I can count, played lots polly pockets, and we've capitalized on their love of cooking.

Since many of you share my somewhat homebound situation...or just have kids that enjoy learning the fine craft of cooking together, I thought I'd share our latest recipe.



Cookie Pizza (out of the Favorite Brand Silly Snacks cookbook)

1 (18 oz) package refrigerated sugar cookie dough
2 cups (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (14oz) can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 c. M & Ms
2 c. miniature marshmallows
1/2 c. peanuts

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Press the cookie dough into a 12 inch pan. Bake 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven.

2) In medium saucepan, melt chips with Eagle Brand. Spread over crusts. Sprinkle with M&Ms, marshmallows, and peanuts.

3) Bake 4 minutes or until marshmallows are lightly toasted. Cool. Cut into wedges.
Because my girls don't like peanuts, we omitted those. But, as you can see, it is a super easy recipe that is easy & fun to make with the children. AND, it's good! It may even make it's way to our annual superbowl party this year. :)

However, we can't keep making food (my OB wouldn't appreciate it!) and like many of the rest of you, I'm always game for fun new ideas with the kids. So, what have you been doing (crafts/cooking/fun) with your kids? I need to start something new but I don't know where to begin. I'm stuck...and before taking the next step forward I need a plan. (Although it seems miniscule, this is how stay at home mom's spend their day & all their kids are exposed to doing. It is important for all of us!)

Please share links and ideas in the comments section so we can execute some new fun. In the midst of this arctic blast, we can ALL gain from shared ideas!

8 comments:

  1. http://www.eksuccessbrands.com/perlerbeads/

    My girls LOVE to do perler beads. You can get them at walmart and Hobby Lobby for sure. I am guessing Target carries them. If you do them, give each girl a cookie sheet (with sides) so if they accidentally (or on purpose) dump it the beads are not all over the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! this looks so yummy..I might have to make this for church sunday..I am your newest follower..

    sherry ;-)

    http://splendiferousgirlsclub.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe made the rounds here this year at Christmas.Cake Balls:
    1 cake mix cake baked and torn to little pieces~
    I can of matching flavor (or different) icing~ mix well into the cake pieces~ place in refrigerator to chill, it helps when rolling the balls. Use about 1/4 cup of the mix to roll.
    Dip in melted white or dark chocolate! Yum ! My favorite strawberry cake & strawberry icing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "My 3 Sons" are now 21, 18, and 13 so this recipe may not work for our family but I wanted to share that a new tradition I started with our youngest son Andrew last Christmas was making a Gingerbread House together. It was so much fun (and very unique, I might add) so this year we went for a bigger and better:) As you know, family time is such a precious gift! Happy baking with your adorable girls, Melissa...

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm....looks so tasty. My kids would love it!!

    I am one of your newest followers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi There,
    Well, I have a 6 and 3 year old and we just spent almost a week off of school and we have done it all !! We have had tea parties, made cards, made our own play-doh, played in the snow on our playground, made a snow man, delivered cookies to neighbors and you name it ! One of my favorites though is teaching the girls a Sunday School lesson. When I taught at our church years ago we would have some extra books at the end of the season and I would share them with our girls. We do songs, crafts and even fun snacks. They love the plays and special attention as we sit on the floor together. Hope you find many more great ideas to create memories for your family !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this recipe! It looks delicious! We are stuck inside from the freezing cold today also. One thing we are doing today is movie time. We've made an enormous pallet with tons and tons of blankets and pillows and now snugly we can all bundle up and stay warm while watching some good, wholesome movies :)
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that looks right up my alley! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...