Thursday, January 13, 2011

Baby Kicks


The air outside is frigid. Wrapped tightly into a blanket after another busy day with the kids, I’m thankful to be relaxed and swept away into another world on TV. And that is when I feel it.

Kick.

My hand moves and finds a resting place on my abdomen.

Kick. Kick. Kick.

Clearly the baby is awake and playing soccer in utero. Although I’m only 24 weeks, I feel his or her force through the blanket.

My husband rushes over and moments later is booted himself.

Life is in full force.

My mind drifts away from the show’s story line and begins to dream. Having seen this little person’s face, I wonder if we will soon be swaddling in pink or blue. If this baby will be as active outside the womb as it is in. If it will ever sleep. I begin to imagine the sound of his or her cry and the warmth of newborn cheeks.

My stomach tightens and for a second my breath is taken away.

A Braxton Hicks contraction.

Smiles fill my face. In four months or less we will see this person. Our hearts will be filled with joy as we tenderly embrace the person we dream about today.

But, tonight, we cherish the kicks.

Thank you, Lord, that I had put down my writing to relax this evening. In doing so, I was alert enough to celebrate the extraordinary too often missed in busy ordinary moments.

Slow down, my friends, and truly enjoy ALL that He has given.



10 comments:

  1. awww...this is wonderful...loved it and you did amazing for 5 minutes...this is a wondrous thing you've captured:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Breathtaking. The magic of feeling life inside of us never, never gets old, and reading about others experiencing that magic is almost as good as feeling it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful - What a wonderful moment to capture with life all aflutter inside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, you just described my own evening so perfectly. Amazing, isn't it, to think about meeting the person who belongs to those kicks so soon. Thank you for sharing!

    ~Lisa-Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Feeling the baby kick is so exciting! We can't wait to meet baby Nesdahl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The precious gift of life growing under your heart . . . thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet : ) I'm a new follower, I'd love a follow back, also I'm doing my very first giveaway with very low entries at this point. I'd love it if you could stop on by. www.lessonsfromivy.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. No better present than the gift of life from our wonderful Lord. This precious little one is so, so lucky to have you as a Mommy. God's peace to you and the precious little one being carried in your womb, Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh! That is such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! Congratulations on new life - such an exciting time.
    Visiting from A Holy Experience, and love your blog. Be blessed, and sending hope and prayers for a happy, healthy pregnancy.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...