Monday, November 15, 2010

When Life Gives You Lemons

Literally.

Many of you have asked how my pregnancy is going, wanting to share in the journey. However, God revealed something to me in the last week that extends beyond pregnancy and I wanted to pass my life lesson along.

During the 14th week, the baby compares in size to a lemon. Inside of that tiny little “lemon” a lot has happened. My baby’s heart is beating, has brain waves, loaded tooth sockets, complete vocal cords, fingerprints, controlled muscle movements, and might even be sucking his or her thumb.

I am growing right along with the baby. I’m currently in what I affectionately refer to as the “torpedo” stage. I don’t look pregnant, but I definitely look “thick.” People at the gym have got to be thinking this isn’t working for you, honey because I’m there five days a week and gaining in girth. :) Needless to say, I’ve pulled out a few pairs of maternity pants and started wearing some early maternity shirts.

All very cool and worthy of admiration for God’s INCREDIBLE handiwork.

Not so cool was the other “lemon” placed in my path. No, it’s not twins! Rather, because of a combination of issues, I started experiencing some breathing issues. For a few days I tried to manage the symptoms naturally, but it continued to escalate.

Within a few days, I knew that I was in trouble. I’d slept 6.5 hours out of 48 (not great for a pregnant mom with two busy toddlers!) Unable to breathe, I tried some pregnancy safe over the counter meds with no relief and then placed a call into my pulmonologist and OB.

Both of my physicians are prolife, pro-pregnancy doctors so I knew that they would do what was best and safe for both me and baby, but I dreaded hearing “the plan.”

In a short amount of time I heard the words I feared might be true. “He is going to put you on….”

Every single one of us (I imagine) has faced medical issues or a particular situation in life where there is one thing we most want to avoid. Well, for me, that is a specific medication. I despise its side effects and, since I haven’t had to take it in years, I hoped not to ever have to again. But, here I was feeling like I’d run a mile after only a few steps and I knew I needed to trust their wisdom and submit.

The words of Philippians 4:6 rushed to mind- “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”

In EVERYTHING.

Sometimes that is a big pill to swallow. Quite frankly it is less fun than the pill I wanted to avoid. But, trusting God’s Word to be true, I bowed my head and prayed. Lord, I thank you for doctors who love You and their dedication to keeping me and this baby safe. Jesus, you know that I do not want to take this medication for a multitude of reasons, but please let it bring a blessing….and the necessary relief that I am looking for and need. I thank you for this pregnancy. I thank you for your promise to work all things together for good. And, I thank you that I can try this. The devil is working to distract me from your goodness right now. Help keep my mind steadfast so that I can focus on truth. I know You have a plan.

Immediately, I felt better. Even though my symptoms hadn’t yet resolved, acknowledging that Satan had a grip on my mind and I was allowing him to spin it into every worst possible scenario helped me better zoom in on the One who really does have control. God’s truth about having this child’s life ordained before one of them came to be (Psalm 139:16) and that I need not fear because He is with me (Isaiah 41:10) set my sights ABOVE and I praised Him for His careful provision.

Thankfully, within a few hours of starting the medication, I was able to breathe slow and normal again. When I crawled into bed, I slept without struggle. And, very quickly, God made clear to me that sometimes the things we resist are exactly the tools He uses to deliver us from our earthly struggle.

I know that I am blessed. His answer came quickly and that is not always the case. But, my prayer for you is that as you experience life’s difficulties you will not place limitations on God based on your own personal preferences. He can see what we cannot. He can bring goodness, healing, and restoration from places we least expect it.

Thanks abounds.

On a fun note, I am now in my 15th week and we’re just back from a doctor’s appointment where we saw our little peanut on ultrasound again. I’m feeling fetal movement and our “lemon” is no longer. Our little guy or gal is now the size of a naval orange. :)

2 comments:

  1. Dear Melissa Nesdahl,
    Thank you for your encouraging words! I have never been pregnant, but I have definitely had my share of "lemons." I once went to the ER for breathing problems. I called my friend, a "seasoned saint," to ask for prayer. By the time the doctor examined me, my breathing was much better. I credit that to the power of God in answering this friend's prayers. :0) We serve an awesome God, a powerful God, who loves us dearly, more than we could ever fathom or imagine! Thank you for sharing your story with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Your story is very inspiring. I only came across this website but seems I will stick into it.
    I also had a 'lemon' story about the breast biopsy that I had more than a year ago. That moment was the lowest point in my life because of the fact that I wouldnt know what the outcome just only after the biopsy. But my husband and I prayed that God will touch my very core for healing so that before the biopsy, the 'thing' that my doctor had suspected to be a lump would be gone.
    Know what? During the biopsy the Doctor had ruled out they could not see anything, it was touch because of repeated injections but praise God there was nothing to see.
    That was indeed a miracle! Praise Jesus!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...