Monday, November 8, 2010

Transforming Chaos into Solitude

Last week I reflected upon our point of perspective for this Thanksgiving season. As I’ve continued to ponder Thanksgiving, I felt it appropriate to challenge myself and all of you to transform this season from one of chaos to one of solitude.

This has been a week of both extremes for me. I’m not going to lie. With a 45% off GAP coupon, I made my way to the mall last weekend to start a little Christmas shopping. I found some awesome, mega money saving deals, but I was also taken aback by the already packed, crazy, difficult-to-move state of the mall. In the first weekend of November! Then, as I got home I made phone calls about holiday plans, began considering game options for a preschool party, worked on a season project for the CPC I volunteer with, etc. and this is all on top of my routine writing projects and homemaking.

In the midst of the craziness, I also had moments of quietness. Our three year old started battling a cold and I stopped activity to rock her for an hour and a half, simply reflecting on the blessing it is to hold her. You see, I spent much time in prayer this week for friends. Our church dedicated Sunday to the people who had gone before us this past year, and, sadly, that includes an amazing 20 year old boy that I babysat and taught Sunday School too as well as my friend’s only child, a precious 8 year old son. With no TV or radio or noise, I aligned myself with the Savior and poured out my heart to Him so that He could fill me up.

As I sat before Him, “Be still and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10) crept into my heart and wrapped itself around my soul. Be still. I am God.

While the Thanksgiving/Christmas season that we have already started preparing for is a blessed time, it cannot be if we are operating in our own strength – and this is the beauty of Christ inviting us to commune with Him and rejoice in who He is.

It is only if we get away from the loud voices and “stuff” of this world that we will find peace. Our families, our celebrations, and our day- to-day routines are all gifts given to us by an All-knowing God who says be still and come to me. When we do, He can not only show us how to order our day and when to spend energy on what (reducing stress), but we can learn more about who He is and who we are because we belong to Him. It is in this solitude that we come to fully rely on Him and rest in His plan for our lives.

Like you, I am not perfect and I will need to re-remind myself of this moment to moment, but it is my heart’s desire that you will join me in intentionally being still this Thanksgiving/Christmas season so that His wisdom poured out in that time of solitude will leave you happier, healthier, and stronger in faith.

For those visiting from the Raising Homemakers site, also know that I have a great crunchy peanut butter balls recipe that I posted yesterday. SO GOOD! It is the first in my Friday Christmas Food Favs series.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa,
    I stopped by from Women of Faith's Hop!
    It is like a battle inside of chaos pulling you one way and the desire to stop pulling you another way. I find my sanity is at it's prime when I've had those moments to get it all out with God and can be slower in life- yet this is not the way the world wants it to be. I LOVE that you took such time to rock your daugther...how beautiful!
    My life has gotten too crazy and our family is on plan "Simplify" as we call it. Each step we want to become more simple than the next...it's a process but I know will be a good one!
    ~Alicia
    "Congo, Here we Come!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we always limit our gatherings and parties because it is just too much...not just for us but for our children as well. We make certain we are able to keep HIM in our center. :) Great reminder, thank you!
    -Christin

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...