Friday, October 1, 2010

Breast Cancer Awareness

She was my doctor’s nurse. Her smile was infectious and her passion for life powerful. When she wasn’t working she was mom to three children, ranging from middle school to newly married. Life was great until a triple negative breast cancer diagnosis threatened to steal her joy. Little did the cancer know, it was dealing with the wrong person. Her fighter spirit helped her sail through a double mastectomy, chemo, and radiation while her faith kept her focused on the One who shines HOPE through every situation faced. "K" won.

Prior to having children I started a new position in the newborn nursery. She helped train me into my role. It was in that same nursery that she received a phone call that she had breast cancer. Life changed. Throughout her journey with surgery, chemo, and radiation she became a community voice about the difficulties in facing cancer head on and the lessons she learned in the process. "M" won.

Despite having no risk factors, my friend went for an ultrasound only to discover that a double mastectomy would follow in short order. The aggressive treatment would rid her of the particulars her body faced and free her of chemo and radiation needs as well as future risks. At home, her husband and three children (in middle and high school) helped her through the slow recovery. Through it all, her spirit wasn’t broken and she drew closer to friends in new ways. "Y" won.

Recently, my 34 year old neighbor was doing a self exam and found a lump. This breast cancer diagnosis hit me the hardest. Not only was it a reminder that the “very young” are not exempt from this form of cancer, but it was another young mother with young children facing an unknown future. After her double mastectomy, she and her husband walked hand in hand through the neighborhood helping this beautiful woman (who previously ran, biked, and walked miles each week) regain strength and health. As her hair fell out, she was not deterred. She’d put on her hat and walk. And, this past Wednesday, she finished her final chemo treatment with her husband and two small cheering her on. "A" won.

These are snapshots of just a few women I know who have valiantly fought breast cancer. However, one in eight women in our country will be impacted by this diagnosis.

October is breast cancer awareness month and, in honor of it, I thought it fitting to take a moment to share one of the most powerful sketches I’ve ever seen on the fight by Women of Faith’s Nicole Johnson. For those of you who have lost loved ones to this illness, my heart goes out to you. And, for those who are fighting or know someone who is, may you be empowered by the video.



My prayers are with you all.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this beautiful reminder to remember and celebrate those who are fighting this battle, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new follower from a blog hop. Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's sobering...none of us are exempt from the possibility. Thanks for this beautiful post & God bless those who are fighting this horrible disease!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa,
    Love your blog and thanks for helping bring awareness to breast cancer. (Your words are in encouragement to me!! Especially since I am facing another hurdle in the journey--I will be updating my caringbridge and blog this weekend--thankfully no cancer--but another surgery.)

    I can't wait to have a few minutes to read all your other posts.

    I am so proud of you and the beautiful christian woman, wife and mother you have become.

    Blessings, k.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cruel disease - thank you for spreading awareness that people can beat it if caught early enough. It is just so sad for those families that the treatment didn't work or came too late.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister is currently fighting a recurrence of breast cancer. I am sending this on to her and telling her to put on the gloves and 'FIGHT LIKE A GIRL!'

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...