Sunday, August 15, 2010

What's Your Biggest Concern?

She’s in the room next to me coughing incessantly. It’s fairly safe to say we will be making a visit to the pediatrician’s office tomorrow.

As I sit outside of her room listening, my heart is breaking. I wish I could make the coughing stop. I wish that I could make the pain go away.

More so, I weep for the beauty in her heart.

Before praying tonight she said, “I’m scared something is wrong.”

“What, honey?” my husband asks.

“I’m afraid I won’t be able to pray tomorrow.”

She is four.

Shock overcomes me. I’m. Afraid. I . Won’t. Be. Able. To. Pray. Tomorrow.

Her cough is so deep she’s shaking. Her eyes are a watery annoyance. She’s in pain. Sleep might prove difficult. And, being sick means that going to the playroom for a play date with her friends tomorrow is out of the question.

Yet her BIGGEST concern is that she will lose her voice and be unable to pray aloud to Jesus who “loves to hear our voice.”

I’m speechless.

How often when calamity of some kind enters my life is my first thought my ability to pray? As adults we worry about the details – if we can do the things we have planned, if we will meet financial ends, etc. – and the Person that offers peace and an answer all those questions is just one conversation away.

The words “And a little child will lead them” (from Isaiah 11:6) rise to the surface.

Our biggest concern is not in the details of our situation. Our first and most important concern should be talking with God about it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That was powerful. I love your sweet girl's heart. Thank you for reminding us to go to GOD with anything...FIRST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Melissa.
    I need to hear that one today!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...