Monday, August 23, 2010

The Problem With Living in a Shortsighted Culture

I’m listening to a duet right now that I can’t say I enjoy. It is the coughing duet of my children.

This week has not been what I planned. As a stay at home mom, I envisioned lots of fun activities before our oldest starts preschool and we become more limited by a schedule. My list included play dates, the library, visiting the new rhino exhibit and baby giraffe at the zoo, going to the park, and normal weekday trips to the gym.

However, on Monday we found ourselves in the doctor’s office with our older one. Diagnosed with a bad sinus infection, we continued with eye drops and added oral antibiotics. I figured the inflammation and wretched cough would soon be gone and we’d return to the fun I had planned. But, that very same day our wee one started coughing. Unlike the older one’s cough, hers was dry and barky, reducing her to tears around the clock. So, for the first time ever, we had both children in the pediatrician’s office in the same week. And, we added another oral antibiotic and steroid to our medicine shelf.

Needless to say, the fun I had planned for the week didn’t happen. In fact, we are still homebound yet today. Although the older one is healthy, the younger one’s cough remains fairly persistent. She needs a little more time.

Interruptions in our plans happen all the time. And, when they do, our human tendency is to focus on what we are missing. In my case, it was the joy I anticipated my children would feel on our field trips, the sleep I'm lacking at night, the time taken from writing, and the daily trips to the gym.

But Scripture reminds to look elsewhere.

Psalm 121:1-3 says, “I lift up my eyes to the hills – where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip – he who watches over you will not slumber.”

The problem with living in a shortsighted culture is that as we miss the big picture. As we focus on the circumstance immediately before us that we didn’t wish for, the Enemy allows disappointment to fill in our hearts and taint the Truth.

And the Truth is this. We serve an alert God who is not surprised by any of the events that we experience AND He promises to work all of it for good (Romans 8:28). God sees the distant future and, no matter what we face – from the littlest of infections to life-altering scenarios – He has plans to prosper us (Jeremiah 29:11).

So if you are in need of a little encouragement at the start of this new week, fix your eyes on the Heavens. Open your Bible and read His promises made special for you. As you do, a new peace will permeate your soul. And, you might even recognize new blessing. After all, I have gotten to rock my normally busy two year old much of the morning. :)

He is longsighted. We are not. Strive to keep your focus on Him because, if you do, tranquility is sure to follow.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful and so true.
    Enjoy those rocking days while you have them. Those babies grow up way too fast!
    Pray everyone is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this!!!!!! I think I should start each one of my days, of teaching, reading this. What a beautiful reminder.

    Hoping the girls BOTH are back to themselves SOON, friend!!!!

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping they are feeling better! And that you are enjoying EVERY minute.

    Blessings,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, how I needed this reminder! thank you so much! found you on Gypsy Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over here via Gypsy Mama's site. I love this post. I too often focus on my right now. Why isn't God doing what I want Him to do now? Why is He continuing to wait. The big picture, which I can't see or refuse to attempt to see, involves His forming me. Molding me. I need to remember to take several steps back from the "wall".

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...