Thursday, July 22, 2010

Greater Love Has No One Than This...

“Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.” John 15:13


I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t have it all figured it out. While my faith guides my life, there are certain Scriptures that I look at and wonder what does that mean? This is one of those Scriptures. Whenever I’ve crossed it there was a question mark. What does this look like in our everyday world?
Until now.


My dear friends have an eight year old child in hospice. Recently, hospital staff visited to make impressions of his hands and feet. These molds capture the size of a small child who will be greatly missed. They represent precious hands and feet that have been held and kissed for eight years. They are permanent mementos of a much loved child to parents whose arms will soon be empty.


Now I get it.


Since Sam has been born, my friends have dedicated their life to caring for him. They’ve not only met all of his physical needs, but they’ve rallied around him in love and cheered him on as he defied one odd after another.


From sun up to sun down, they’ve been flexible with their schedule to make sure that Sam is happy and thriving before doing anything for themselves. And, that is the way that they wanted it. Sam’s life has brought them so much joy and to be chosen to be his parents has been a 24/7 experience that they’ve both welcomed and cherished.

But as Sam’s body is deteriorating, they are trusting God and letting him go even though everything in them wants him here.


In recent years I’ve wept over the words of MckMama and Angie Smith who also chose life for their babies diagnosed with life-threatening challenges in utero, but I’ve not lived this until now.


Frankly, my friends could choose to be selfish. They could try to medically fight the inevitable, or refuse to let others hold Sam, or make it about them and their happiness, but they aren’t. Rather, they are celebrating Sam’s life and finding comfort in the healing power of Heaven.


This is laying down one’s life – and embracing pain - for the sake of another in action.


I’m privileged to write this tribute in honor of their ministry that shines through even in the darkest of days.


My eyes are opened, friends. Look around you. Every day, in a multitude of ways, people are sacrificing earthly contentment to live out Christ-like love.

Shared at A Holy Experience

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry he's not going to make it.
    It hurts to see this in children.

    They're in my prayers.

    (My WIP involves abortion and these types of diseases and problems. This time, research hurts.)

    I'm sorry for your friend.
    God be with them during their time of pain.

    God bless you for being a good friend to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your love is shining thru your words, Melissa. Thanks for sharing this tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I know they are touched by your words, but even more than that...your heart and prayers!! What a wonderful and incredible friend you have been to them ALL. A true BLESSING. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing story. Praying for this precious family and everyone that loves and surrounds them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God bless this family! May God give them the grace to accept His will, Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for this precious family. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and heart-breaking picture of sacrificing one's life for another. Prayers for this family for God's peace.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...