Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Christian Moms Unite

{Two blog sites you will love}

“Push, Melissa, PUSH. This baby needs to come out right now.”

It was September 9, 2005. After nearly 22 hours of labor I had a fever and my baby’s heart rate had dropped. My husband held my hand, brushed the hair from my eyes, and lovingly said, “You can do this.”

Seconds later I was holding a beautiful, Heaven-sent little girl.


And suddenly I carried a new title: Mom.

My husband and I had been praying to be parents for years. Since God’s timing was different than ours, we had plenty of time to envision this day and prepare for parenting. And, yet, when our hospital stay was complete and I buttoned the final button on her sweet little pink dress (that was my going home outfit as well), I wept.

Overwhelmed by God’s generosity, I praised Him that we were taking home our child. Quite honestly, I wasn’t sure the day would ever come. However, I was also humbled. When we strapped that small five-point harness together and had her security bands cut off, we became responsible for EVERYTHING. God was entrusting her life to us. Whoa.

For most significant responsibilities in society we have to prove ourselves first. Before I could drive I had to prove my skill on the road. Prior to college admittance, I had to show academic success. And, to achieve post-college employment, I had to meet specific qualifications. The list goes on and on. The world is full of preparedness checkpoints that we must pass before undertaking tasks and roles of importance.

Except parenting.

Before me was a human life. My husband and I were responsible for meeting all her needs: making sure she is in a safe place, has appropriate garments, learns manners and values, has an understanding of her life in Christ, learns right from wrong, appreciates boundaries, demonstrates respect, becomes loving and nurturing….need I go on? He’d given us - two fallible people - the awesome responsibility of parenting this innocent little girl into a person that would glorify Him. And, He did it without a test. God simply whispered, “I chose you.”

That is more pressure if you ask me.

Tonight, as I write this, there are two little girls (God blessed us with another daughter in 2007) sleeping in their new bunk beds in the room next to ours. When 7:30 hits that will all change. Bright eyed and eager for the new day, both of them will run towards me with their morning hugs and ask me the simple questions, “Mommy, can we have breakfast?” “Mommy, can we do a puzzle?” But, I also anticipate the more difficult moments where they have their listening ears turned down and I have to say a mental prayer for patience while I teach them the importance of paying attention and explain why we have rules. Furthermore, there will be the difficult questions, “How did God make our bodies? Like our hair and skin and stuff?” “How does God get our bodies to Heaven?” “Why wasn’t that kid nice?”

Some of life with children is simple, but much of it is complex. As mothers (and fathers), it is our job to dig deep into Scripture so that we can instruct them in a Godly way. With the Lord as our teacher, this doesn’t necessitate the need for others. However, as we navigate through the parenting journey, being surrounded, encouraged, and perhaps given new ideas or perspective from other Christian mothers who are also relying on Christ and striving to raise Godly children is a valuable gift.

Matthew 18:20 says, “For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.”

Through community with one another, we experience the living company of the very same Lord that first whispered, “I chose you.”

Recently, two new blogs were formed by Christian mothers looking to network with other moms in His name. For those of you raising girls like myself, MODsquad (Mothers of Daughters squad) has a website, Facebook, and twitter. And, for mothers of boys, The MOB Society (The Mother Of Boys Society) has its own site, Facebook, and twitter. If you have boys and girls, you are welcomed by both groups!

In the quiet of one’s day, women across the country are coming together in His name. We may be in separate homes, but we are gathered together around the same Christ-focused readings, uniting us in an online experience that will empower you as you encourage your children to walk the right path in life.


Who doesn’t love that?

11 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing your heart here and for including modsquad & the mob society!

    i love what you say about digging into the scripture so we can instruct them in a Godly way. so important and i wish i'd learned this very important fact earlier in my parenting! but praise God i got the message and praise God for this community we're all apart of! blessing to you melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful post Melissa. I can't wait for you to share with us on the MOD Squad. So glad that, "women across the country are coming together in His name" It has been great getting to know you. We will have to meet in real life soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing. It is so great to have the support of other Christian mamas online.

    I am the mother of 5 children, 4 boys and 1 girl. I am already part of MOB Society, but I am off to join the MOD Squad.

    Blessings
    Honey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matthew 18:20 is the verse we have been praying over the MODsquad site! How neat that you chose it to highlight in your post.

    May His presence dwell there, and here in your new blog home as others gather in His name!

    Blessings,
    stacey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great post Melissa. So loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the new baby picture, and your post was so sweet. I didn't know there was a resource for moms of girls too, so I bookmarked that one too! I love MOBSociety, so I'm looking forward to the girls' one. We have 3 of each, so I can use all the help that I can get! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post Melissa! The MOB Society has been a fantastic way to encourage me in my journey of motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Community is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

    So love being in this community with you. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your beautiful new blog, Melissa! (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post! Thank you for reminding me that God must think I'm capable of doing this (raising three boys ages 9, 6.5, and 4 mo.) along with my husband since he chose us! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...